Thoughts on the "Fibery approach to integrations" article?

Michael, it’s always good to see you in here, wish you could find a few more minutes a week to jump in like you used to :slight_smile: - it’s always so good to see your comments. And @Oshyan as always appreciate your commentary, I have never been able to take issue with any of what you write!

I think this is great to see these items on the roadmap. Really encouraging to see a lot of what I’m looking for in “Green.” And re: your tool for presenting this, I’d go so far as to say you have a really great potential feature of a public roadmap for Product Teams. You should prioritize this! I can easily see with just a few tweaks how this could be right on par with Product Board, Aha, etc. tools that are huge in this space, and highly rely on their “Public-facing Roadmap” feature. But these tools are siloed away from the actual “work” of building a product after Product Managers complete planning. So you guys have them beat. Really impressive!

I did want to provide some additional feedback to your post. I’m probably coming off as the Bad Apple in these conversations, but I hope you will take what I have to say on face value and not consider it criticism:

I do believe most of what I speak of here in the community are key features you will hear requested as you get wider adoption, and in fact many of these features you did address in posts that are now many months to a year since we heard any update. It is really good of you to share this comprehensive list, helps me out a lot! I would like simply like to add two more suggestions:

• There are a few key features I’m interested in that are left off the list.

• It would be great to hear about what you plan directly in the community on a regular basis

I have some examples of each that I hope you will find useful. Before I get to those though, I’d like to make another humble suggestion that you consider a Voting Area here in Discourse. This has been suggested before (and is also a feature not on the list :slight_smile:)

I think it would help you guys a great deal, while not necessarily being a problem like it can be:

With a voting board like this, the community can:

• we can see as a community support for requests, and support existing ones without repeating, which keeps your board clean

• there is some self-generation of requests, which perhaps can avoid certain requests falling through the cracks if your team isn’t quite able to pick them up here, in twitter, Reddit, etc.

• you will get a ton of SEO benefit, and perhaps draw in users who are looking in Google to see if Fibery has “feature X.” I really believe you may be losing these users now. That’s because they may google “does Fibery do this…,” find the existing requests, see that many are not responded to, get discouraged, and give up interest. I know from my personal experience when I research a tool and find its canny board, such as this post:

it helps me out a ton. And when I see un-responded to posts, it makes a negative impression on me.

I think you guys have a chance to avoid the pitfalls of the other “big” tools, some of which, like ClickUp, are struggling with this now:

• the community seems to be made up of advanced users who I think will make sure these requests are sensible and digestible

• You are not at a scale yet where you are at risk of loads of requests getting votes, and then you get stuck with work to merge them, etc. that you may not have resources for.

Getting back to the two points from above, here are some items I could not find on the list

***If they are on there, sorry I just couldn’t find them:

Comments:

Granted, these are new requests, but it is disappointing to see them left off the list.

Requests re: Entity to another Type:

Some old requests for Whiteboard:

To my second point of hearing from you guys more in the community:

First, many of those above requests have “likes” and multiple comments, but most have no response from the Fibery team. So that’s discouraging.

Here are some other quick examples of requests with no response:

The request “Activity Stream”, which I’m not sure is on your list as this is about an area where you can see @mentions and user activity:

has a lot of support for it, but not one response from the Fibery team at all! So as a Fibery user, up till you showed this roadmap today, I couldn’t be sure you would develop it, ever.

and this re: calculated columns:

Or Time Tracking:

the last official comment we have is in March 2019.

Another re: Due Dates:

Some requests say “Approved” but there is no communication from the Fibery team, or very old communication, about them, which is confusing for those of us eagerly anticipating them.

So I hope you guys will consider adding votes to these Feature Requests on Discourse. I really think it would solve just about all my frustration, now that I’ve seen the detail of the features planned - thank you again for surfacing that @mdubakov!

I know this is already very long, but finally, I wanted to address @Oshyan your point here:

I think we are in fact not misaligned at all. I think I’d describe my issues mainly around “day-to-day” use of Fibery, and how a rank and file Product Team will respond to some of the stuff I am looking for that is missing. These are folks who have used at times Asana, Trello, Jira, Monday, Notion, ClickUp, Wrike, Github Projects, etc.

No tool we used before did not have, off the top of my head:

• actual Entity-level comments that didn’t get sent in Email
  • no native mobile apps or phone-friendly site
  • No history of Entities
  • Search that does not index any content aside from Entity titles
  • an easily configurable “home” area where you can see some of everything going on in the app.

A lot of this is around team visibility and communication. It is hard to do software development without some basic communication functionality in a tool. It’s good to see that most of this seems to have found its way into Michael’s board. However from my point of view, it is hard to commit to Fibery without knowing if we can get any of this stuff in the next year. As I was pointing out, much of the commentary I interpreted here in the community from Michael directly, from year and early this year, led me to believe these basics would be coming sooner. But for months there was really no timeline on any of this stuff. And I can’t see an argument that says any of this stuff isn’t complementary to Fibery and Michael would not expect to have ultimately in the app. So on the one hand I’m pretty sure this stuff will come to Fibery, but on the other the guidance about when has been getting more and more vague. The roadmap we got to see today really helps. But there are still questions I have, and I’m hoping we can get them answered by either the Voting Board, or another way.

Thanks!

2 Likes