Filter "closed" entities (by default?) in all searches

The more I actually use Fibery day-to-day, the more tasks I complete, and the more “closed” entities I end up with. Yet they all still show up in my searches. This really limits the usefulness of search at times, whether in the Ctrl-K pop-up or in-line entity linking (this is even more of an issue due to Narrow texts in entity search pop-up make correct selection difficult.

I’m not sure the best way to handle this. I know the “status” is a feature of the Workflow Extension. It seems important enough and often used enough that perhaps it deserves its own option in the search dialog, and one which could be persistent, i.e. I don’t have to check it on every search. It could instead be in Preferences for each user somewhere, I guess, but with an optional override on the search window (i.e. the setting controls the default state).

Of course given the power and flexibility of Fibery, one could also imagine value in more general filtering based on the state of given fields, and being able to persist that. Honestly this seems like potential overkill to me though, or at least hard to imagine how to easily implement it (actually I just had some ideas, ask me for details if it seems important enough to discuss further).

At the least I think starting with an ability to enable default filtering out of “closed” (or user-selectable status?) entities would be very helpful.

Btw I know this has been talked about before elsewhere, but I couldn’t find a separate topic for it.

1 Like

The more I think about this as I am using Fibery, the more I think it might be good to be a global setting of some kind. For example I’d also like to have this filtering for back-links! And having to add filter controls to search and backlinks, and maybe other places may be non-ideal, or at least may be down the road for implementation. I have a thought as to how it might work though, still being customizable and flexible, but without making the UI too complex. These are just ideas, of course.

So what if you put the visibility setting for entities of a given status within the Workflow Extension settings? There are at least two ways this could be handled, I think. One potentially more powerful or “clean” (or maybe easier to implement?) than the other, but less “discoverable”.

First, you could simply add visibility control to the Workflow Extension settings panel. This could take the form of a more rigid and simple toggle “hide “Completed” entities from searches”, and maybe a separate toggle for “Hide completed entities from backlinks”. OR more powerfully, have a multi-select field there to select from the actual workflow options above, so you’d have one multi-select field “Hide these Statuses from Searches by Default” and another “Hide these Statuses from Backlinks”, and you could select “Closed”, but also any other status you want. If multi-select is hard to implement for this, it could be a single select. If more power is desired…

You could instead implement the same/similar within each Status Option (Alt-Click to reach settings from within a given Entity). So within e.g. “Closed” you’d have the existing options, Color and Icon, and then toggles for “Visible by default in searches” and “Visible in backlinks”. I thought this might be more powerful, but now I think about it, the multi-select above should accomplish the same thing, and may be the better approach unless it’s not possible, or you need to have more controls for different areas where you want to control entity visibility by status.

In either case, on any Search pop-up, perhaps have a toggle “Disable all filters”. This would work well as long as the preferred and most common filter state was set on each Workflow Extension for each Type, which I think is a good way to handle it. Then if you really need to access an old, closed entity, you can, it’s a little more inconvenient, but more importantly the most common use case is much more convenient, and also configurable on a per-type basis.

1 Like

I can think of an analogous use case that I have: filtering on approval status.
We often have items that undergo a workflow of draft, reviewed, approved. Limiting to only approved items would be great.

(to be honest, it ties in with version history as well, which i think has been discussed elsewhere, but that’s another story :slight_smile:)

2 Likes

This kind of touches on something I’ve made a request on (outside the forum): to be able to display certain fields in search results, like with fields you select to show in the collection.

Depending on the type, certain fields would be incredibly useful to see inside search results.

2 Likes

Ah interesting, yeah I can see the potential value in it. Especially when we are (hopefully) able to search in any field contents.

So I guess it would work the same, a toggle would be added to every Field “Show in search results” or something? The main challenge might be in the design of the Search box(es), especially for in-line search. The Quick Search popup has more room as it is…

1 Like

Agree 100%! I would expect in most good search tools in advanced Work Mgmt apps that you’d get an array of bespoke filters, layers, etc. of search, that you should be able to save as well and return to. “Closed” items have a certain property in Fibery, which is great as this is another area it has a leg up on the other “Big Three” of Notion/Air Table/Coda as none of those recognize that out of the box.

So it would follow that you should be able to filter those out as well to get proper visibility into your data.

Nice request, it is a needed feature!

1 Like