Add ability to open a new record pop-up

Every record has record lists. “+ Link or create” is confusing when you want to create a new record with a formula name. This ONE button does TWO actions: link or create.

For instance, we have a parent record. The child object has the name field as a formula. When we want to add a new record, the system shows “Start typing to create a new record”. Why? After that we have to do several unnecessary clicks:

screencast 2022-02-04 09-44-16

Guys, please add (or provide a setting) to just open a new record pop-up. As an idea: split “+ Link or create” button into two buttons: “Link” and “Create”.

Seems to me a very good idea. Besides the unnecessary operations, having to give a false name to an entity with a calculated name is quite annoying.

4 Likes

Voted :+1:

Feels pretty hacky right now when creating entities with a calculated name.

2 Likes

Hi guys, do you have any updates on this? @mdubakov @Chr1sG @Polina_Zenevich

We’re actually working on new UI representations for collection fields right now, so we have not done anything on the existing mechanism, since it will be deprecated. Can’t guarantee that the new UI will be different/better to begin with, but just mentioning why this issue has not got any attention yet, sorry.

Thanks. Any ETA? I saw you have a public roadmap with features. Maybe I can just follow it and do not follow-up here :slight_smile:

Here is the roadmap . | Fibery

Thanks. “Migrate References to linked Blocks” – is that correct one?
PS: 401 error pop-up by your link:

Error fixed, here is the feature . | Fibery but it has not solution so far :slight_smile:

Seems like the link is private. And new errors before the redirection to the login page :slight_smile:

Sorry again, posted a link from the wrong space. Now it is fine.

https://the.fibery.io/@public/Public_Roadmap/Roadmap_Item/Link-and-unlink-Entities-from-Context-View-46

Link above is not working for me:

1 Like

I feel like this is close enough that my linked idea is a duplicate. @Chr1sG is there a proper way to merge this idea? If not, @cannibalflea - I think we should migrate our votes here to centralize our support for this feature.

Additional thoughts:

• The create button should have the option to act like a mini version of the new form view, with all the necessary fields you want the user to fill out (including required options). This would solve the issue with filling our the necessary fields for formula names but would also help with database data hygiene (making sure the proper fields are filled out for each entity created).
  • If link and create actions are separated, there should be an admin option to hide one or both action buttons. I have to-many entity relation blocks that I want people to only view or interact with in a specific way.

This is a beyond the scope of this idea, but adjacent to this second bullet point - I have the same problem with Views. There are Views that I do not want to give anyone the option to create or link items - view only.
Example: We have a ‘Project Priorities’ board that pulls priority tasks from all projects that a user is on. If anyone can add new tasks to this board, it defeats the purpose of reviewing full active task logs and deciding on what the current priorities are.

1 Like

They are certainly very similar, but I would say that one is perhaps a subset of the other. Namely, prompting a user to provide info when the name is built from a formula is a specific version of the general need to ask a user when a new item is created.

As it happens, the work on form view has raised questions internally about whether it could be possible to allow admins/creators to mandate form UI during the general entity creation process… :thinking:

For the second bullet point, I think it’s a separate topic for discussion. It may even already exist in the community, I haven’t checked.

3 Likes