Resource Planning & Summarizing Estimates

Hi Guys,

I wanted to start to do some planning in Fibery. My approach is to set up a “estimated” time field across various work items. Then, add those estimates and assign users.

With that information complete, I’d like to be able to start to see over time the capacity that has been assigned, and any potential conflicts. So if I have 4 users that I would like to have doing 30 hrs/week, or say 6 hrs/day, of work on these items, I’d like to be able to see this calculated.

I was wondering if this is something that you know can be done with the Vizi extension?

And as I’ve seen this type of calculation or tool on a lot of other apps, usually in a Table view or Timeline, is this something you guys are bringing possibly to either of those views?

Would be grateful for any insights here as I’m kind of stuck right now on this and would love to know if it’s something that I can solve, if not now, then soon in the future!

Thanks!

1 Like

I’m really curious if someone in this forum found a solution for this. We have the same need :smile:

It is possible to use report view to get information about the allocation levels of users.
Unfortunately, individual needs/definitions tend to vary so much that there is no ‘standard’ way of doing it. Feel free to reach out in the chat and perhaps we can nail down a spec for your needs.

Typical things to think about:
What are the values that are constrained? e.g. does the duration/dates of a task get determined by who is working on it and their capacity, or are deadlines fixed and allocation needs to change to ensure no over-run?
Can a user work on multiple tasks simultaneously, or is a purely sequential model appropriate?
What is the temporal resolution needed (hours, days, weeks)?

Take a concrete example: user A is asked to work on Task 1 and Task 2, which each require 15 hours of effort. In principle, this means that user A can start on monday morning and complete both of these in one working week, but it does require that they change from Task 1 to Task 2 midway through wednesday.
If the tasks have start and end dates rounded to the nearest whole day, it will appear as though the user is working on Task 1 from mon - weds and Task 2 from weds - fri.
A simple report view would only be able to show the average hours worked per day, so user A would work 5 hours per day on each task, implying 10 hours on wednesday => overworked.

Anyway, Fibery is not going to match the capabilities of dedicated resource allocation software, but in most cases you can set up something meaningful, provided you have an idea up front about what the acceptable limitations are going to be.

1 Like