New Table View: Broken Paste Rows UX

I commented on a feature release thread here, but didn’t see anything about it getting picked up.

See the thread for a video example of the issue. Overall, i think the airtable example is a good reference for a better UX.

Pasting Issues:

1. Cumbersome to click and paste in the rows
  2. When you get it to work, it overwrites one of the existing rows

Here is a video of trying to get it to work: fibery_row_pasting2.mov - Google Drive

Video Summary:

• If you click into the “New ” box then paste, it assumes everything you are pasting goes into that one row (airtable detects this and confirms what you are trying to do)
  • To make it work, you seem to have to select (focus) the “New ” box without clicking into it? Is that the expected way to use this feature?
  • When you paste, it seems to overwrite the record just above
  • With airtable it seems to have a more simple UX. You click into a box, you paste. It recognizes what you are doing and confirms that is what you want to do.
2 Likes

Hi! Thank you for noticing the issues.

Honestly, I assumed that it’s expected that if the cell is in edit mode, paste will work in inline mode, and if the cell is just focused, paste will be global. I agree that Airtable introduced smarter and handier behavior, but they are a much more mature product. Google Sheets for instance, doesn’t work this way.

Overwriting the last row is definitely a bug, and we will fix it soon.

Yeah, i understand the logic there, though I think there is a significant difference in the UX for google sheets vs fibery though.

• Fibery typically wouldn’t have an empty cell to focus and paste into
    • Instead, you are clicking on a what appears to be a button that says “+ New ”
    • Hitting escape to focus the button IMO feels very different thing compared to pasting into an empty cell.
    • I don’t know if any other UX where you’d have to paste text into a focused button
  • Sheets has the opposite behavior when clicking on the equivalent of a new row
    • Clicking a cell focuses it
    • Double clicking puts it into edit mode
    • Fibery follows this behavior for existing cells, but not for the case where you are trying to paste completely new rows (as seen in my video)
  • Sheets doesn’t just ignore the new-line characters
    • If I go into edit mode in sheets by double clicking, then paste, i get a single cell with multiple rows
    • In fibery, the new line characters are just ignored
    • These new line characters I assume is what airtable is handling to say, hey I need to ask you want to intended, because there are multiple ways to interpret the data

So, I just think Sheets is probably not the right comparison. That said, while the airtable UX example is a good one, I’m not sure fibery has to follow it exactly. An alternative approach could be to have a more explicit action or button to handle the pasting of rows.

1 Like

Thank you for highlighting the problem (as well as the problems in other topics), it’s hard for me to disagree with anything here.

I cannot promise that it will be our first priority, but it will definitely help to choose the direction of the future improvements in the Grid (Table) View.

Hi!

• To make it work, you seem to have to select (focus) the “New ” box without clicking into it? Is that the expected way to use this feature?
  • When you paste, it seems to overwrite the record just above

That part was fixed :slight_smile: