Improvement to Tab order? (keyboard field navigation)

Although I am not a keyboard shortcut zealot, I do like to keep hands on the keyboard when possible as it speeds interaction in many cases. I am finding that, in trying to fill out information in Entity forms (Fields), it is taking a lot longer than it needs to as there appear to be functions of each Field that are being “selected” by tabbing, but are not actually operable, nor what I want to be moving to next. In my opinion tab should move consecutively between data entry mode for each field, linearly down the form. I would say data entry is by far the most typical interaction with Fields once they are setup, so it should get priority in navigation, especially with the keyboard.

1 Like

Definitely agree with this! As much spreadsheet like functionality would be very useful!

This is a big bonus of how the big “three” of Airtable/Notion/Coda work!

2 Likes

Kind of hard to believe this quality of life improvement hasn’t yet been tackled. Fibery continues to be a mouse-heavy app for me as a result. :expressionless:

Currently in an entity view you have to hit Tab three times to move from one field to the next! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Precisely! I’m fortunate that I don’t have a lot of new entities to add these days. Mostly just maintenance. But god help anyone inputting a lot of data for the first time. It sort of works better in Table view, but there are issues there too (which I should probably report separately).

Keyboard interaction in Entity view still really needs a lot of work. I guess nobody else really minds this since it hasn’t come up again since? I do forget about it for a while as I’ve gotten used to the limitation, but ultimately it is pretty bad that it works the way it does, still requiring 3x tabs to move around, but perhaps worse than that, some fields are difficult/impossible to trigger/select options from the keyboard, and other issues too. :expressionless:

I don’t know, maybe this is way harder to fix than I think it is? If so, I get it being lower priority. I just assumed tab order could simply be adjusted, unusual controls (e.g. grab/drag handle) could be removed from tab order, etc. with a few days of work or something. :man_shrugging:

1 Like