I really think the editing experience of whiteboard needs to be strengthened

I agree with a lot of what you’re saying @njyo and I too really want to see Whiteboard improved a lot. Obsidian’s Canvas is a superb model of what I hope to see, at least at a base level. And they kind of “came out nowhere” with this remarkably smooth, low-bug implementation. Hmm, I wonder how… Anyway, I do think that for Fibery’s long term goal of “insight generation”, etc., a really good, well-integrated, smooth, and highly functional Whiteboard/Mindmap/Canvas type experience is going to be critical. In fact I would argue that aside from the new Reference functionality being worked on, it might be the single most important new/unique innovation to allow precisely this “insight generation”. However…

Unfortunately I do not think that as a feature Whiteboard is very marketable or easy to use to differentiate Fibery. I guess I am saying I think it’s extremely hard to communicate the actual potential impact of those capabilities (e.g. Entity embed and linking, not just visual but “relational” in a data sense), and ironically I think this is especially true in the business world where Fibery is trying to make an impact. I think the biggest momentum behind these kinds of ways of working is actually in PKM/personal use right now (e.g. Obsidian), and it will take a while for business to catch up.

So with this perspective in mind (that I have, others may disagree), I don’t blame Fibery for not prioritizing Whiteboard more. They have a hard enough time marketing the already superior features that they have vs. other entrenched solutions like Notion, Jira, Airtable, etc. Fibery is arguably superior to all of those (simultaneously) in various respects, and yet its market share is a tiny, tiny fraction of any one of them. So I do hope that their current work and focuses will lead to greater adoption which then allows them to push forward more with the unique vision and long-term value proposition of the full Fibery integrated system…

All that said, a short-term and potentially quite effective way of addressing many of the needs of this feature/desire would be to get this built because, as I said, Obsidian’s Canvas is already pretty great!:

1 Like