Feed view: vertical "cards" instead of horizontal blocks

I use the Feed view for a few things, but because I don’t have long text fields, the Feed view ends up being a kind of a screen hog, horizontally speaking. Lots of wasted space.

Wondering if it might be possible to do a “compact” version of that view, with the items in a grid. I can get something like it in Airtable - they call it Gallery view, and you can add images, but I don’t need images for my work in Fibery. And I don’t mean a Kanban style view with columns - just a plain old grid of portrait-oriented cards instead of a stack of landscape oriented cards.

Maybe this is just a CSS thing? Rendering those item divs with a fixed width and setting the layout as grid?

Here’s an example of what I’m thinking, taken from Airtable’s Gallery view:

And what I mean by “wasted space” in Fibery - viewing these in a grid would be more space efficient:

Would also love to be able to edit the attributes (like Open to Done) right there in the Feed, but the hover icons make that impossible — but that’s another request for another time…

You may be aware that there is a prior request for a real “gallery view”:

I’m not sure if it makes more sense for your request to be a modification to/mode of the Feed view, or perhaps more like a modification of Kanban. For example what if there was an additional option under “Columns” that, rather than selecting a Field to create columns, just gave you a numerical input to specify a # of columns? Might this address your need? And if so, might it be too much of a “bastardization” of Kanban? :smile: Even if the underlying view code is the same as Kanban, basically, maybe it still makes sense to have a separate “card view” so it’s not hidden in Kanban options. :thinking:

I also think it’s worth pointing out that if Card/Gallery view is partly being held-up by design changes for image display on Cards, maybe throw out that requirement and just make a Card/Gallery view that doesn’t yet support images. It sounds like from your use case that it would still have value even without images.

2 Likes

Trying to extract what I’m looking for out of the Kanban view seems unnecessarily complex. Having to pick a specific number of columns to be used would kind of defeat the purpose - my laptop might only fit 3 columns, but my iMac might fit 5, for example. In Airtable, the cards are fixed width (the height is determined by which/how many fields you choose to display, but is consistent from card to card), and the layout adjusts to however many columns fit across the screen.

It really is just a display issue, which is why I was thinking that it might be handled with CSS. CSS grids are pretty straightforward for turning a list of divs into a grid, and I guess I’m assuming the Feed view is essentially a list of divs. If it’s not, then it’s probably a thornier issue.

In essence, I’m just trying to maximize the information I can view at one time on my screen.

And yes absolutely, if a gallery view is in the works but images are holding it up, then by all means - please! just go ahead without the images. I just want a grid of info cards instead of a stack of info billboards. It would make it a lot easier to see what I’ve got in my databases.

1 Like