Dependent Dropdown Field Type

Hi Guys,

Sorry if this is a detailed request, but I’ve seen a lot of times I could use a “Dependent Dropdown” capability with fields in Entities.

What I mean is if I have one dropdown that I’m using, the options would lead to a 2nd related dropdown that would have dependent results based on the choice of the first:

Let’s say we want to categorize a “Recipe” Entity type:

First Dropdown:

“Food”

Choices:

1. Meat
  2. Vegetable
  3. Fruit

Values in 2nd Dropdown:

1. Beef
  2. Pork
  3. Spinach
  4. Lettuce
  5. Broccoli
  6. Apple

Depending on the choice of the first, you’d be presented with a filtered view on the 2nd that would be limited by the choice on the first.

This can be achieved right now I think if you use an entity to relate to the “Recipe” entity called “Type of Food.” If in the food App, you have a top level type “Food group” and sub-type “Type of Food,” then I believe back in the recipe app, if you set a relation to both types, they will pre-filter based on the relations in the Food app. So if you set up in the Food App that Food Group “Meat” relates to sub group “Beef” or “Pork,” then when creating a Recipe Entity, you’d only be able to choose “Beef” or “Pork” if you first select “Meat.” However, in this case, it seems a bit “heavy” to me to go to the extent of creating a whole app just to sub-categorize these recipes, when a drop-down would do the trick.

Thanks guys and eager for any thoughts you have about whether you think this makes sense!

1 Like