CHANGELOG: April 22 / 🌶 Automated Actions, new Toolbar in all Views, Duplicate Document, and a Pen

This is a quite heavy release, your feedback is appreciated, as always.

Automated Actions :robot:

This is the first release of Fibery Automations :clap:. Now you can create Action Buttons and configure many actions that will be executed with a single click. Actions can be setup by Admin or Creator. Here is an example of the action that moves Story to the final state and adds a new comment.

create-button

Action Buttons are created for a Type and always visible in a Type View. For example, I have two Action Buttons for Launch Type, and to execute them I have to navigate to Entity View and click … in the top right corner:

NOTE: In the next releases Action Buttons will be available everywhere, including batch actions possibility.

Read Action Buttons guide. Try to create some Action Buttons and let us know about any problems or new ideas. We’re really excited to hear your feedback!

New Toolbar in all Views

The Boards, Timelines, Calendars, and Tables setup was outdated and ugly. In this release, we are introducing Views Toolbar that streamlines setup experience. Now you can changes views faster, set visible fields, filters, sorting, and colors per Type, and see context filters better.

2021-04-22 16.53.30

Duplicate Document

Finally, you can duplicate Documents. Find the Duplicate action in the top right … menu. It may be handy if you use some documents as Templates.

2021-04-22 16.56.49

Whiteboard: Pen

Now you can draw ugly objects using the new Pen tool in the Whiteboard View:

2021-04-22 17.00.07

7 Likes

After reading through the action buttons guide, this looks really promising. You mention that in the next release, the action buttons will be available everywhere. What exactly does that mean if you could expand a bit?

Also, do you have plans to leverage any kind of other triggers besides clicking a button is the near-ish term? One thing i was happy to see was that you can append/overwrite rich text fields, which would be great for setting up a meeting outline when a new meeting is created. Currently, you’d have to click the button, but if we could trigger off of entity creation that would enable some interesting applications.

3 Likes
  1. It will be possible to execute actions on all views, like click … on a card in a board view and invoke an action. Also it will be possible to select several cards and invoke an action for all selected cards. Similar behavior will be in Table, Timeline and Board views.

2. We are currently working on Rules, so it will be possible to invoke actions on automatic triggers, like new entity is created or some field is updated. I hope we will release it in about a month.

5 Likes

Any chance we will see the actions be able to be assigned to dynamic values or a formula ie set a date as tomorrow or add to a current value.

1 Like

We are working on exactly that right now. In 2-3 weeks it will be live.

5 Likes

Wow, this is a “heavy” release indeed! Super excited for almost all of this. :clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

Will it eventually be possible for the actions in one step to take as input the result of a previous step? In other words, e.g.
Step 1: Create entity with Name = New
Step 2: Add collection item to New with Name = Child

1 Like

Will action buttons / automations evetntually include flows other than simple sequences? Conditional branching etc.

Can you provide few cases that will solve some real problems for you?

Yes, it’s almost ready on fact, we will add it into some future release.

1 Like

Don’t mean to take over the discussion from @Chr1sG, but my meeting notes example is one that could potentially use the mentioned conditional branching feature:

Use Case:

• I have meetings with key stakeholder organizations regularly and want to manage tasks we generate from the meetings
  • There are often key discussion areas we always want to cover, but it differs per team i meet with. For example, with Marketing we typically cover SEO, Email, Push Notifications, etc as regular topics. I manually copy these into the meeting notes at the moment to serve as reminders to think about it.
  • When creating a new meeting, I’d like to trigger adding some text to the rich text field once an organization is added to the meeting.
  • So, if there was branching or something equivalent, then I could say if org=Sales, append headings a, b and c. If org=Marketing, append headings c, d, & e.

Notion accomplishes something similar by having templates that you can associate with a type, so when you add a new entity you could say, “Add New Marketing Meeting”. Writing this out made me realize that we can now use the action buttons to generate templated entities, which i think might be the biggest use case for me with these automated action buttons.

Still, i could see it being useful to trigger off of an entity being associated with another entity, then applying some kind of conditional or fall-through logic to make changes to the new entity based on which one was associated. You could potentially lookup a value from the associated entity, which would avoid the conditional logic requirement to do what I described.

3 Likes

I click on a button, and the steps to be taken depends upon who I am, e.g. if Assignee = me, do this, else do nothing.

1 Like

Hi Michael, do you remember we had some dialogue a couple of years ago about facilitating Agile scrum for business? At that time we used Target Process for this, but the overload of functionality and mostly SW development related info on cards was rather confusing for business users. I am now again looking for a light, scrum for business tooling where we can create roadmap items (epics) which we can refine into work packages (features) and then detail into tasks, which are realized in context of 2-weekly sprints. I need 3 related views/boards in which cross functional teams from different organization collaborate: 1 facilitating the Steering Committee, 1 for the team(s), and 1 for the individual team member.
Could Fibery facilitate such? A penny for your thoughts!

Met vriendelijke groet,
Jord

+31 654676176

1 Like

Actions, trigger, templates and user-interactions are all heavily intermingled and (if properly implemented) a killer feature.

I see some major feature blocks:

• Modification of entities (manually triggered by a user)
  • modification of entities (auto trigger through conditions)
  • Actions with additional user-interaction (user will give additional parameters that will influence the action chain / output)

the first 2 seem to be (though complex) in major focus - the third option however holds a huge potential (of joy AND headaches).

Example 1

• User wants to create a PROJECT (entity) with N MILESTONES (entity child of project)
  • Within PROJECT the user hits the “create milestones” buttons
  • a modal provides additional attributes: amount of milestones (integer), date for the first milestone, naming-scheme and so on

Example 2
After the user has successfully created the PROJECT with n MILESTONES she might find herself in the need to postpone the milestones (eg by 1 month each)

• she hits the button “Move all milestones”
  • A modal pops up, where she can specify the amount of month to postpone all milestones

We already use a similar process with the action buttons and additional fields for interaction within the entity - but that just clutters the entity with a lot of additional fields.

Looking forward to see these great features.
Chris

2 Likes

From a high level view this is possible, please describe desired Views in more details and then I will be able to evaluate the possibility:

Michael,
What I need is following:

• Basic scrum functionality: User-stories, tasks, sprints, ability to assign people to tasks, tasks to sprints
  • Inheriting data through relationships: for instance when moving a user-story from one spint to another, all related tasks, people assigned, etc follow, or when creating a task in context of a user-story which is related to a specific entity, the entity data goes with the taks
  • Ability to create views on different aggregation level: Overall user story overview, sprint planning board, individual task board (planned, busy, done)
    Would that be possible?
    /Jord

Logo-tagline-300x200.png

Everything is possible except this thing maybe (at least partially). If you do assign Tasks to Sprints, when you move User Story then Tasks will remain in the old Sprint. If you don’t assign Tasks to Sprints, all will be fine.

Okay. But if a task is not closed in a sprint such can be identified/ notified? So taken into account preparing for a new sprint?
If so, how to test-trial?

Met vriendelijke groet,
Jord

Bericht verstuurd via mijn mobiel

+31 654676176

Hi Michael, this is really looking promising. It could possible enable/drive the Customer Success Programs we have with customers.
I’d like to test it with app 10 people internally within our organization and app 10 on customer side.
Could we agree upon a trial period for such?
/Jord

Our default trial is 14 days, but feel free to register an account Fibery | Start for free, upgrade when you love it and contact us vial Live Chat if you will need to extend it, that is not a problem.