Boolean formula as row in Board view?

I have a large number of Task objects. The Tasks have quite a lot of workflow states, and assignees.

I would like to make a Board view with a column for each assignee, with rows split on Status.Final true vs. false. (I can of course use the Status as the row, but because there are quite a number of statuses, this makes the view too sparse.)

I’ve tried making a hidden formula field on the Task entity based on Status.Final, but I group into rows based on that formula field - it’s not listed as an option for rows in the board configuration panel.

Is there any way to achieve this?

Would you consider changing the state field from being a workflow to being a many-to-one relation to a State database?
If so, you could add a select field to this database, with two options (Final and Not final) and then use a lookup to get this value for each entity, thus allowing them to be plotted in one of two rows.

The disadvantages are that

• you might need to create an automation to automatically set the default value for the state
  • you can’t enforce that a Task always has a state value linked

Thanks for that. I have done something a bit more subtle, based on your initial idea:

• Created a Final hidden boolean formula field on Task, using formula State.Final
  • Created a StateGroupEnum entity type, with a checkbox field Final and the Name field using a formula - If(Final, "Done", "Not yet done")
  • Created two StateGroupEnum entities, with the checkbox Final field set to true and false respectively
  • Created a hidden relation field from Task to StateGroupEnum, using the automatic link functionality (huzzah!) with a match on Task.Final to StateGroupEnum.Final

That way I get to keep the current workflow set up, and the “StateGroup” relation is read-only, so people can’t drag and drop things between the rows and mess it up.

Seems to work. :slight_smile:

It would be more elegant/nicer if you could group the cards into rows based on a normal boolean field, though!

Well, there was an alternative that I didn’t mention, since I thought you’d think I was crazy, but looking at what you actually ended up doing, I’ll mention it :wink:

You can create a StateGroup db with two entities (Done and Not yet done) and then just add a many-to-one relation from the workflow state ‘database’ to this db.
Each workflow option can then be linked to one or other of these two entities (a one-time action) and then you can make a lookup in the Task db to get the StateGroup from the State.

No need for auto-linking nor the helper fields.

1 Like

Thanks. That works better as you don’t then get notifications for all the linking/unlinking, and it feels less invasive. Very happy with that as a solution.