Persistent User-Level Filters on Entity Pages

Edit: This idea changed due to comments below.
Changed Idea Proposal:
Persistent filters on entity pages: On an entity page, I could filter it to just description. Then I click open on each line (or ideally a keyboard shortcut) and just see the description field. Or I can filter it to just a relation that shows a list view (with the new ‘relation view on entity view’ update. So every time I click open it just shows that filtered version of the entity page.

Previously:
I want to use the entity descriptions more. But for big tables, to quickly open and review/update a lot of rich-text-fields, the panels are slow enough to disincentivize me. I do like the panel design, but not for quickly reviewing/updating the notes (lots of wasted time in the process: updating the table field I’m on, clicking open on the left, reviewing and updating the table again, then updating the notes, closing the panel, and repeat for all my items). So instead of the entity description, I just constantly modify a text field in the table.

It would be great if there was a preview option for the view. So whichever row I am on, that entity’s rich-text-field is previewed to the right. So as I am manipulating the table data, regardless of which field is selected, I am seeing the notes for that entity on the right. There could be a button on that rich-text-field preview to open the full entity page.

It would be even more useful if you could choose which field is automatically in the preview pane. I could set it to the rich-text-field description and scroll through my items looking at updates - OR - I could set it to a specific relation and the preview pane shows that specific list view (with the in-progress ‘relation view on entity views’ update, this would be even more useful!).

I guess another way to describe what I’m looking for is a quick access filterable entity page. Being able to scroll through my items and having a preview of any element would be game changing for my workflow.

1 Like

Similar/same?

And also, have you checked out the Feed View? Not the same, but might help with your use case…

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions @Oshyan. Feed view is a good thought, but I don’t think it’s as flexible as what I’m proposing. Similarly, the idea you linked is more about seeing the description text within each line. My second comment expanded the idea a bit to be more than just rich-text field - I’ll edit the idea title (hope that’s not bad form)

Really I just want a persistent filter on entity pages. So on an entity page, I can filter it to just description. Then I click open on each line (or ideally a keyboard shortcut) and just see the description field. Or I can filter it to just a relation that shows a list view (with the new ‘relation view on entity view’ update. So every time I click open it just shows that filtered version of the entity page.

1 Like

Interesting, thanks for adding some clarification. So you want a “persistent filter for display of Fields on entity pages”? And when you say “I click open on each line”, are you talking about e.g. a Table View showing Entities, and you’re clicking through Entities with this Filter enabled such that you only see the Description Field for each Entity? Or am I misunderstanding?

This sounds like…
when using a (table/board/list?) view in the left panel, clicking on an entity in that view opens it in the right panel, but all-but-one of the entity’s fields are hidden.
Is that correctly understood?

1 Like

Correct. But the more I think about it, I think this could be resolved with entity tabs (Tab Views in Entity Pages) or a more dynamic ‘show/hide fields’ feature. I appreciate the dialogue @Oshyan and @Chr1sG. I’m going to close out this idea for now as I don’t think it adds additional value

1 Like