Native Apps (Apple, Android, etc.)

Just chipping in my thoughts here. Normally I’m always the first one to request a mobile app. In this one case, however, I would actually lean towards not being so adamant about it.

Here’s my reasoning (and speaking only from my own experience, I don’t have any insider knowledge on Fibery). What Fibery is doing really is in a “goldilocks” zone. It’s doing things that I’ve never seen, and I’ve seen (and used) nearly everything. There’s literally usecases being solved here that I’ve tried to solve for many years, and often I’m able to implement what I need in mere minutes. I’m thrilled to be implementing this slowly in multiple companies. A lot of the UI is very intuitive (formulas, etc.) and there’s a ton of features that are really nicely built out. That being said, IMHO there’s a very large UX debt because of how many (powerful) features have been built. There’s a lot of simple UX wins that need to happen really bad. There’s also many features that, while VERY groundbreaking, are in my view only ~75% delivered. Huge props and admiration to the whole Fibery team to have the vision and chops to pull off the impossible.

But here’s the catch: adding on native mobile from web-only is a huge lift, requiring much more resources, and demands splitting focus. It’s not at all merely an ‘additive’ function, it’s an exponential increase in execution challenges and resources. This would be even more pronounced given the power (and complexity) of Fibery. That’s not to say Fibery isn’t positioned for this already or doesn’t have the resources - I have no info at all on that.

If Fibery goes native mobile right now/soon, it’s very likely that all the other feature requests - that I believe are crucial not only for usability and existing adoption but more importantly for accelerated growth and operating runway - all those other feature requests would most likely take longer. Maybe some folks here using Fibery more for light biz or personal usecases wouldn’t be impacted as much, but fwiw I’d far prefer to see other areas in the platform addressed first.

Just my 23 cents :laughing:

For background, I’m a product leader in various tech projects/companies, some client work, some internal products. And even thought those are all heavy biz usecases, I’m hoping to also use Fibery for personal too, moving completely off of Notion (LOVE the Fibery “feed view” for that!).

5 Likes

I’ve been using Fibery as my primary daily PKM for a couple months now, including basic things that demand mobile like shopping lists. Quite honestly it works surprisingly well in a mobile browser (Chrome). It feels odd to me that there is very little other feedback in this topic from people actually trying to use the browser version, e.g. “The mobile version is OK, but it needs X, Y, Z to really be good, and I think for that it needs a native app”. This is especially so when you look at recent feedback, and unless I’m mistaken, Fibery team did notably improve mobile over the last year or two (certainly it’s miles better than when I first tried it 2-3 yrs ago).

The one major issue I have is that the Android keyboard selection handling menu shows up over the top of the Fibery one, so it’s difficult and sometimes impossible to do some things with selected text, e.g. formatting or Linking. Not sure if the native cut/copy/paste selection menu is something that can be suppressed in the browser, but I think so. That’d be a nice improvement.

Offline is a whole 'nother level, of course, and probably does require an app of some kind (although doesn’t Chrome have some facility for this?). But aside from that I honestly find Fibery mobile to be largely adequate. What are people’s specific issues with it?

1 Like

Agreed, mobile web is fairly ok. I would prefer to see a few updates there but nothing remotely deal-breaking, i.e. the other day I attempted to view a timeline on mobile but due to the UX on such a small screen ended up inadvertently moving a few timeline items around without knowing it. Maybe have it start in a read-only view initially for some views (some other vendor just implemented this recently - read only on complex+sensitive views, can’t remember who it was).

2 Likes

First good thing to do on mobile is to add fibery as a shortcut on your mobile home screen with Chrome mobile app. It will be full screen like an app. :pray:

2 Likes

I think the best first step is to do what Tana did, and create a Fibery app that makes it easy to dump data into Fibery. (Essentially, a glorified but useful native form).

Example: ‎Tana Capture on the App Store

Main Tana app Features:

• Scan text
  • Upload Media
  • Write
  • Voice Memo

Preview of the app’s home page, writing component and “history”. It does not let you view data stored in Tana; it only allows you to push data. A “View” button would be nice in History to redirect you to the Tana record via web.

An equivalent would be a Fibery app that allows you to select the forms you’ve created and input data into Fibery.

Serving notifications as push notifications to the app would be awesome as well.

Similar to how you can use Slack to create an entity or Fibery Chrome extension; having a native app that makes it easy to push data into Fibery and a clean UI would be amazing.

The app can then be developed further as time goes on to add more features.

9 Likes

Awesome idea :heart_eyes: I think that an app with such basic features already covers 90% of the actual use cases that somebody want to perform on a mobile.

2 Likes

Agreed. It would allow for quick data capture and influence users to stay with Fibery. Because we know the value, we force it to work even though it is missing some things, but still use other tools because of the ease they offer.

Example: Todoist for project management. 2 main reasons we use it:

• Easy to input data from multiple devices, including Mac, iOS, Chrome Browser
  • Clear way to form recurring tasks and notify

If I want to create a simple task for my team, I have to go log into the Fibery site on desktop to get a smooth experience. Being able to jot down notes / create docs, or create “task” entities from iOS would be so useful. Making it compatible with iPad and MacOs would fit a lot of needs and keep people pumping data into Fibery.

5 Likes

Just configuring the web manifest as a PWA would be great start in the right direction. This means that on mobile and desktop it can be “installed” as an app.

Amongst all the other settings (that are important), set "display": "standalone".

5 Likes
1 Like

I have been considering for a while to making a Fibery app for data capture for Android, and perhaps also iOS later. So it will not do everything, just be a glorified form (@Illusory - I just read this whole thread including your posts, I now see you ask for exactly this, and I’ve been working on how to do this and came up with the same solution as you propose :wink:), and perhaps do more from there! Something like @Illusory mentioned with the Tana example, thanks for sharing will look into that.

So Android-only first (let me know if that is already useful for you), but Kotlin Multiplatform looks interesting, with Compose Multiplatform (they are techniques to make apps that work with Android + iOS + Mac + Windows + web). It’s still under development but quite far I believe, so also worth exploring.

Anyways, step-by-step works the best! First target, make a basic design, and then make a very simple Android app without any bells and whistles!

Btw my motivation for making something like this is that I see this as a very valuable component for one thing I wish to use Fibery for, enabling better communication in companies who partly work outside and inside - for example garbage collectors and the planning office (I worked on the back of a garbage truck for 2 years). Having a flexible structure that Fibery supplies enables these companies to not only manage their own work better, but make the structure collaboratively - and I think that is healthy and natural. And having a mobile front-end that is very intuitive and easy to use is essential for this to work.

And second reason, it would also be useful for myself, as I keep track of things in my own company and if I can use an app that would make things easier.

Will share updates here and curious about your ideas and wishes!

3 Likes

This. You may find this conversation of interest: Lack of Work Management features in Fibery (Reminders, Dependencies, Notifications, My Work, etc.) - #73 by Illusory

1 Like

Wow that is such a huge thread. Started reading it, slowly! :snail:

I think you got some of what you wanted in your last post in this thread, right? Many feature improvements related to notifications last year! Or is something missing.

I found this interesting when I looked up how notifications can be done in another app (see this link in the docs: . | Fibery)

Do we have any public documentation on how notifications API works?

Not at the moment.

There is no public API related to notifications at all. The non-public part can be changed at any moment, this is why we don’t share it. Also, it’s not scalable as it relies on user tokens.

What if I want to send notifications to other tools, that are not Email & Slack?

We suggest you focus on notification triggers - events.

Almost any event can be taken with webhooks, and then you can send it to any tool you want. You can also use Zapier Integration or Make (Integromat) Integration for this case.

To avoid coding (well, at least part of it), you can use our Rule .

Nice to have a notifications API but determined to look for workarounds where I can! So, need to study this webhooks thing :hook: