In Highlights, "Roam-like" inclusion of Hierarchy of Text Blocks

Hey, thanks once more for that!

You raise a great point - is Fibery based around Blocks in the Rich Text? I actually thought it was, in particular because Highlights draw from what appears to be a “block” as I understand them - and I’m basing this on the two tools out there that seem to have the deepest concept of a “block” - Notion and Roam. For example, in Fibery you can have a reference pick up text that is within this “block” but in another row below if you create your new row by hitting “shift” + “enter,” and not just “enter.” I don’t user Markdown, so perhaps that’s a standard of it, but I know from using Confluence, Wrike, etc. that those tools do not handle text this way.

What would really help is simply a similar way to show in the Highlight the full context if the reference text is within a hierarchy of an outline or in bullets. You know what I mean given your experience in Roam, it’s like this:

Image 2020-11-07 at 2.12.20 AM.png

And ideally it would look like this in the Highlight/Reference:

Image 2020-11-07 at 2.13.20 AM.png

So in this visual below, you get what actually comes in Fibery, the “block’s” text where the referenced entity resides, but no context. So to show how that looks in Roam, you might as well erase the contextual references to the entire rest of the content:

Image 2020-11-07 at 2.15.01 AM.png

The bottom line is when we read highlights like that, it’s hard to figure out without going back and clicking what is the context of the @mention. In these cases, the Highlights aren’t really that much more useful than simple links back to the original entity with no context.

So if Fibery indeed does have a Block-based architecture, it would be fantastic to at some point in the evolution of Highlights be able to get this entire context.

Hope that makes sense!

1 Like