Google Calendar Sync Feedback

Yes, selected each of their respective calendars, which meant selecting 2 calendars in total.

I get that it has to sync a single calendar, but I’m subscribed to their calendars in gcal and when I create an integration to my gcal account, I see their calendars in Fibery and can add those as part of the integration. What I want to know though is if say another teammate joins our company and I subscribe to their calendar in gcal, whether I can then update the Fibery integration to be able to see events from their calendar just like I’m already seeing events from my two teammates currently (which I did by re-creating the integration and selecting their calendars during set-up - hoping there’s a way to do this outside of initial integration set-up)

1 Like

OK, I misunderstood you. Indeed, you can reconfigure your integration at any time to change which of the available ‘sub-calendars’ are included in sync.
Is that what you meant?
firefox_JhojHmCsQg

2 Likes

exactly! thanks :slight_smile:

So. I am building a sweet personal task management system for myself, and one of the major features I’m trying to solve, which I’ve never been satisfied with in any other software I’ve tried, is the ability to take one or more tasks and have them assigned to specific calendar events or time blocks so every To-Do is given a place in my day.

Right now, it looks like Fibery’s Google Calendar ability has the following limitations: it’s 1-way, so I can’t create events directly in Fibery AND the event has to be synced into Fibery before it can be related to other entities; and it only syncs manually or periodically, so changes in the calendar show up in Fibery with a delay;

I see a couple of possible ways to make this work with the current limitations. The flow would work something like this:

1. User presses a button on an entity.
  2. Button uses webhook to trigger an automation flow in an external service, say, n8n or Make.com
  3. Automation uses data from webhook and Fibery to create a Google Calendar event. Some kind of unique identifier is placed in the Google calendar event so when it eventually syncs into Fibery, it will automatically be associated with other Fibery entities. Off the top of my head, only the event name, and maybe the event description could contain such information, but both aren’t ideal (what if the Google event or Fibery task name changes? And Google event descriptions are rich text fields in Fibery, I think, which I don’t want to parse for some kind of ID…)
  4. I just realized that calling a webhook from Fibery requires scripting, which means I can return infomation (including a Google Calendar Event ID) to the entity that had the button pressed. That solves the linking issue.
  5. Eventually, Fibery asks Google Calendar for updates, and the event shows up in Fibery. Not ideal.

I guess I could omit the Fibery calendar integration altogether, and build my own simpler sync, but I’m not ready to commit to that yet.

The only real issue with the system above is the delay in the calendar integration sync. Is there a way to trigger a manual calendar sync from the API, or through automation scripts? The periodic sync (which has a minimum of an hour) is too infrequent, and manual syncing is tedious. I would be creating these tasks infrequently, so being able to trigger a calendar sync programmatically would be best.

And as always, I’m open to other solutions. Thanks!

2 Likes

Another solution (though not simple) is to use Google Apps Script.

What differences would that provide over doing it through n8n or Make.com? They both have Google Calendar integrations and n8n can execute arbitrary JavaScript for scripting.

Is there a way to trigger a manual calendar sync from the API, or through automation scripts?

I don’t think so. You could ditch Fibery’s GCal integration and just use n8n/make for everything.

I don’t know which specific API n8n/make uses to access Google Calendar, but if they provide all the Calendar API functionality you need, then there is no reason to use Apps Script.

For those who wish to have fibery → calendar sync, I’ve created a tool which can serve a fibery calendar as an ICS file!

Now you can use Fibery as the source for your calendar data! cc @carson

2 Likes

so this is 1 way sync from fibery to google calendar only ? or it can be synce 2 way

That is correct.

You mean 1 way or 2 way sync ?

One way. It’s just an ICS file generated from a database!

1 Like