Geospatial fields

Hi everyone,

One of the features that almost all work/project management systems miss is the ability to assign geospatial information to tasks or outline location of a project or mark different phases of a project on a map. I think this is because most of these systems are geared towards developers and makers whose work doesn’t really have a direct spatial dimension. However, for anyone who delivers projects or services across a region, this is a must. What is needed is a way to store geometry(geojson perhaps), a widget to draw and manipulate the data and a widget to display it (leaflet perhaps).

I’m not sure how complicated this would be to add, but it would be quite amazing to have.

Many thanks,
Ali

Oh and I obviously forgot that it would be great to have a map view as well to compliment all other views.

@anayericov It would be great if you can describe 1-2 cases how you will use it.

Sorry for the delay. I was trying to find some good examples.

I think the simplest case would be to have a map view of all the entities represented by points (either geocoded or just encoded as lat/long pairs). Examples I could think of are:

• Service call locations for a particular day or the last month
  • Project locations
  • Contacts in a CRM application
  • Physical asset management (where assets have a location)

It would be great if you could filter the points and bring up the details of the points. monday.com has implemented this as a view which is quite unique among task/project management software.

It would be great if more complicated geospatial data could be attached (points, lines and polygons) to entities. You could use these to represent linear assets (like roads and pipes), paths/routes, boundary objects (like properties, project sites, etc.).

I can provide mock-ups of how this would work in the app I’m working on if that would help.

1 Like

Maybe this will be possible simply using custom fields / formulae, but, it would be neat to be able to also filter by location fields in terms of distance between. For instance, you can use the haversine formula to find nearby points on a globe. If I’m a roving field engineer, then being able to see / pick locations nearest to me, which also have some open problem or task, could be useful.

Yes, being able to do some basic geospatial analysis/filtering (perhaps through turf.js) would really push fibery ahead of other platforms. I think lat/long points as a field type would be relatively painless to add. However, I would strongly advocate for including lines and polygons which then allow for some automation like setting regions for sales or technicians and automatically assigning new customers or service calls to the right users based on if they fall within a polygon.

1 Like