[DONE] Phone number field/extension

I am building up a contact list app that I can then link to my meeting notes and action items. It would be great if we could have fields designed for phone numbers that could format and validate the content. It would be great if they could also trigger call behaviour on smartphones.

The email field seems to provide validation but there doesn’t seem to be a way of triggering the default mail application to compose a new message. That would be a great addition as well.

Apologies for inundating the community with (half-baked) requests!

4 Likes

@cannibalflea This will be implemented in future, we are definitely going to add all possible fields into domain

3 Likes

Any hope of this in Q3 this year?
I think that it would be easier to move some of my enterprise clients to Fibery if I can build a robust CRM here.

2 Likes

Hey @helloitse I really second the sentiment about using Fibery for a CRM. The capability is here, we have the API and Vizidrop as great supplements too - for import of data and analysis, respectively, that the other nocode stuff can’t duplicate.

Definitely the phone # data type would be key though to make this work!

1 Like

I regularly check the Changelog posts for any word of this feature. I’m worried though that Airtable will launch an official solution for syncing bases before it exists. This could be an easy win for the Fibery team.

:rofl: I got a good chuckle out of this.

+1 upvote from me.

Oddly enough, it’s here: See Synced tables

2 Likes

I am glad to see this:

But I more readily need this request, so trying to bump again. @Team Fibery, any update? I am wondering how hard an implementation this would be? One huge benefit is my computer recognizes the phone # format so I can click to call contacts once this is implemented. Otherwise I have to use a text field and the computer doesn’t auto link that in the least.

@helloitse good to see you here:

Would be grateful if you could pop back over here and give this another bump, too! As well as possibly @JMaynier as you have shown an lot of interest in CRM use in Fibery! I believe you too @colman?

Thanks!

I have survived with just text fields so far, but I don’t have any exciting workflows based on phone numbers just yet - mostly email. I think it would be great and potentially not a huge lift (well, of course everything comes with an opportunity cost), although it’s not currently a huge pain point on my end

In development

3 Likes

Implemented Nov 10 2021

2 Likes

@mdubakov and the team thank you for implementing this :grin:

I had two questions:

1. Validation

Is validation going to be on the list of future improvements for this type or was this a deliberate choice? I saw in various places that validation is generally something that the team will be working on, but thought I should ask in regards to this specifically. I imagine validation is going to be quite helpful if/when we are also able to have external facing form-views (contacts, sales, CRM, etc.)

2. Field Conversion

Is there a process for converting existing text field to phone field? I’ve used a button to populate a new phone field with previous text data, but as new field types become available, it is really helpful to be able to just convert types.

1 Like

We are not going to add validation, since phone numbers are diverse and it is quite hard to have all cases covered.

Unfortunately field conversion is quite hard to implement and we are not going to do it in the next few months. So the best workaround so far is to create a new field and copy values from the old field in a table view or write an automatic rule that executes on schedule and it will just copy values from one field to another