Comments on Whiteboard

It would be useful if comments could be added to whiteboard objects, when whiteboard is for collaboration and overview of things.

We use whiteboards a lot in our business, and for example Miro is something we very commonly interact with these days. Here, comments are on plain shapes (since that’s what Miro have AFAIK), and I’ve found them quite useful in collaborations to keep a conversation or extra information going, while keeping it all connected to a specific whiteboard. Assuming that Fibery’s whiteboard could fill a similar role during collaborative work, support for comments would be very welcome.

Use cases:

• When collaborating on a whiteboard we can add questions and answers
  • When collaborating in a meeting we can pin some discussions relating to the things on the whiteboard to it’s saved there and could be moved or cleaned up later
  • Add in some extra information without cluttering the visuals, like a reference to another document (e.g. URL that might not be in Fibery) or some business case data, etc
  • To add extra clarifications that might be important but are rather verbose and distract from the important information shown directly in the shape

I would mostly put comments on simple “shape” objects I think (i.e. rectangles used as “cards”) but sometimes entities.

It would be very important to very easily identify where the comments are placed and number of comments, and to open and dismiss reading the comments. It would be nice if it was somehow visible via color or otherwise comments created by different users (or not yourself).

I don’t necessarily need the comments to be converted into comment on entity if a shape was converted to a entity, but I wouldn’t mind it.

It would be nice if comments where searchable via browser find text, but not crucial to me.

The comments it’s a bit of a working artifact, typically not something that I would need to persist after the collaborative work has been done, but I might be colored by the fact that’s how other whiteboard products typically work.

Not directly related but a common thing I see is the recurring need to export text from each shape (when used as card) to an excel, to be processed separately. In this context, people often wants the comments.

4 Likes

Since whiteboard / collaborations is often done with guests, it would be useful if they could contribute.

:100: YES, ABSOLUTELY!

We also use whiteboards to collaborate extensively and currently our comments are post-it’s and I’d love to be able to have attributed comments, responses and resolution to manage our process.

Agree that linking to entity comments would be optional, but a neat future extension.

Please please please! :slightly_smiling_face:
Thanks!