Comment fields and inline comments to be entities with fields (comments database)

Collaboration is heavily dependent on the commenting system. As I see now, Fibery is not yet very focused on collaboration, more on data structure. There are in a few days already a number of my posts about UX and end user workflow issues.

The comment field is currently not a database entity type with fields. Neither are the richt text inline comments. Both comment field and rich text inline comments are currently resulting in isolated items that cannot be organized in a way that I find useful for a team.

What I suggest is to make all comments (fields and inline) fieldable entities. This would allow for a similar configurability as normal database entities. It would allow for lists and tables etc.

related: Please make Whiteboard/Form/etc just fields, not isolated artefacts - #3 by Yuri_BC

Comments in entities is a table in a database (and a separate Entity Type) under the hood, but it is not exposed. We are considering making it first-class entity in fact.

5 Likes

What do you mean by “first-class entity”.
Is there any update on this one? There could be huge potential in exposing the comments database. Or even better, allowing admins to create and link their own comments data base.

Potential:
Linking comments to LinkedIn API and chat with prospects directly in Fibery with a Chat within the entity. This would have to mean changing the “Author” of comments to “Person” which is linked to another “People” database. But this could have really interesting implications.

Basically adding another “Chat” view to the list of views, which I see is sort of being done with Threads. (But is still limited to connecting to the predefined comments database)

Comments are not stored in the same way as entities in other fully-fledged databases are