Support more in-line markdown formatting

Fibery already supports markdown decently well, including creation of “block types” with markdown syntax at the beginning of a line. Now there are an increasing number of various kinds of text editors that also support use of markdown syntax in-line (arbitrarily within the body of text) in a WYSIWYG editor.

Basically simple stuff like *text* gets converted into formatted text (italic in that case) as soon as the closing syntax is put in place and the user presses space, enter, or otherwise clearly indicates “I’m done editing this word/section”. I would love this kind of markdown support in Fibery as well. It’s a simple-seeming thing, but for me it’s smoother and easier to apply a variety of formatting vs. Ctrl-B/I/U type hotkey formats. I just find that less quick and easy, more awkward for my hands. Anyway, it’d be a nice option.

This is really a fairly small addition, which I think primarily focuses on extending recognition of markdown syntax into the text, rather than only parsing it as a new line, which is already fairly well supported, e.g. 1. space creates a numbered list, - or * and space both create bullet lists, etc. That existing support is good.

If I could ask for additional markdown syntax support within the text body, I’d actually love to see at least some of those newline “block type” syntaxes supported within the text line, maybe only at the end for simplicity’s sake. I often start writing a new line of text, only to decide/realize after I’ve written it that I want it to be e.g. a Header. Then I Home back to the beginning and put in my markdown+space to change it into what I want, but it’d be even faster/easier to do e.g. ### + space at the end of the line and have that converted into an H3 and remove the ###. There are numerous other tools that already do this, so it’s a familiar and generally positive design pattern, I think. But if it’s challenging to implement, I’d be happy with at least the in-line basic bold, italic, underline, and strikethrough formatting.

In fact you can have bold and italic already using these patterns
**bold **
_italic _

Fibery is based on ProseMirror so it has all its formatting out of the box
https://prosemirror.net/examples/markdown/

As for ### pattern in the end of the line, not sure it is easy to add…

1 Like

Ah, so I just need to change the formatting I am used to many other places. :wink: (including here in the Discourse forum) OK :grin:

Although oddly, that Prosemirror demo page shows italic and bold as the same way Discourse handles it (one * for italic, two for bold)… Also strikethrough would be nice to have (usually handled with ~~text~~).

Hello,

I also find the inline markdown lacking.

What most irritates me the most is that you cannot make a link as [text](URL) and there’s a bug with `inline code` where it does turn the text to inline code but eat the first letter and doesn’t remove the last backtick.

The second thing that is problematic to me is that it doesn’t parse markdown on pasted content. I take tons of personal notes in Obsidian (written in MD). Copy/pasting to fibery always breaks completely the structure and I waste plenty of time reformatting.

(apart from the that, I love the product :wink: )

2 Likes

Almost a year later and I still haven’t gotten used to Fibery’s outlier (in my experience) way of handling markdown. WTF (that’s Why The F*ck :laughing:) has Fibery chosen this not-that-common approach? Surely there is a reason many/most other systems at least support star-star for italic. I use italic all the time, and it’s still so cumbersome for me to use underscore or Ctrl-I, I honestly feel like it can’t just be an equivalent shortcut, I think there is something intrinsically easier to invoke about ** than _ _. So I still hope this may be addressed one day…

1 Like

well, outliner and mix bullet points, almost basic or even fundamental feature for note taking. It seems it not align to their focus right now, but I’m really really wish for this

Its not the fault of Prosemirror, its very configurable but Fibery has implemented it minimally and apparently not prioritized a number of (basic) features that keep on being requested in the forum. The challenge of Fibery now, as far as I see, is to choose a product strategy and a better system for processing and interacting with feedback in a way that is not just taking their time, but actually would be helpful in identifying priorities taking into account new user adoption (thus covering basic needs).

1 Like