Show in Reference Highlights Referenced Entity more clearly

Yeah, I think you’ve pointed out a couple of great examples here! Often I’m unsure exactly how this would best be solved in a programmatic way. Even if it’s easy as a human to say “well it should include those things in the context, obviously”, it is not necessarily as easy to tell a computer program how to do it in a majority of cases. :smiley: That’s why I continue to favor some combination of “good defaults, but expandable context view”. I don’t want it to default to “too much” context just to address issues like this, and end up with a really long and cluttered reference view, but I also agree there are plenty of times when more context is needed. As I’ve mentioned before, the quote expansion functions here in Discourse are a nice example of how this can work.

I’m not sure I quite agree that a Roam-like approach makes sense for this particular use case, or at least in the way that backlinks are currently setup. The advantage Roam has there is that it’s all outline format and otherwise “free form”. It can show all child blocks because it’s all just in the same “document context”. The references in Fibery are more specialized and I think a different approach is needed to jive with that approach. Not to say the fundamental approach could not be changed and a more Roam-like one adopted… But I like my Discourse quote-alike approach concept. :wink:

1 Like