Proposing development of a Fibery <-> Obsidian sync plugin (independent, open source)

Oshyan,

I see what you’re saying. And one point in particular make some want to cry :sob: :sob::

• Alternate and powerful views and UI affordances for working with text, e.g. Tabs, flexible Panes, Themes, and perhaps one of my biggest motivators: Canvas view
  • Since this one is important enough, I’ll repeat it as its own point: Canvas View. Because of its importance to me, and what I think it represents, I’ll elaborate further on it separately below.

I could not agree more. In fact, I was so excited to see it, and only superficially tested it in Fibery, and ultimately went in this direction. Then, I have run into significant useability problems. I wrote a post about it but somehow deleted it.

I read a blog page form the CEO where he shows a Fibery whiteboard and it’s look really good, and I though why doesn’t mine work that way??? Perhaps because I’m on PC it is mostly useable, so I’m just using Miro and considering having my team do more Pipedream (like N8N, which we also use) work to integrated Fibery and Clickup JUST for a WORKABLE whiteboard.

What happens for me??? Well, when I zoom in or out and goes too far, either by 25% or 50% and the appearance (again on the PC) when it gets smaller, is unreadable because they do something weird (that looks like they’re rendering is a blurry image).

So - the beauty of canvases/whiteboards is the ability to zoom in and work on a particular node, but moreso (at least for me), the ability to zoom out and recognized and appreciate the relationships and the flow of things. I cannot do that in Fibery and I’m bummed about it. So I’m with you 1,000 % on that.

And I think the one thing fibery does better (potentially) than anyone is provide a visual learning/building experience - seeing the relations the way they’re shown in Fibery, incorporating a whiteboard that does entities (at least in theory) is very intuitive for me and would be AMAZING if it worked, though it’s still good for me even though it seems like I have to do a lot of hacks.

The local tools, I totally agree with. For instance, I have a very powerful dual 4090 setup specifically for LLM training and all you can do with that. Now that you mention it, the wheels are spinning, and I’m seeing just how powerful that could be if one could use both.

Yes I’ll contribute $100. I’ve already got some team members building things for me (not the Obsidian/Fibery integration), and I’m going to share those as well. For instance, I made this post - Automatic icon for every entity in a table - Get Help - Fibery Community - assuming that was pretty easy to do, apparently it’s not.

So I have a team member putting that together in Pipedream. We use Pipedream, Albato, Zapier, and N8N. If you guys have a preference for N8N, let me know and I’ll them emulate stuff there.

You know that N8N has a white labeling component. Maybe we could make a Fibery-N8N suite of plugins!? Is that what you have in mind? You’re obviously way ahead of me and much more technically-capable, so I’m still catching up.

One last thing: A while ago I was pretty heavily into Obsidian and making that work for me. (In the end I think it nearly drove me insane, lol.) During that time we developed a private plugin that 2-way synced with Google Docs and Google Sheets. So I already have some experience there.

That said, I think we should put our heads together to either (1) persuade the Fibery team to fix their whiteboard and/or (2) figure out a solution to improve that, which might be the Fibery/Obsidian thing you’re talking about.

1 Like