Fibery feature wishlist

Was asked in another post what features I would like to see. Here are some of them. Maybe some exist and I just haven’t found them yet. I understand some may not be in line with Fibery’s vision, but they are things I currently use so I put them down.

• Allow entities to belong to multiple types and inherit their properties (Obsidian, Tana).
  • Easier templating for database items (Notion).
  • Show backlinks between docs (and blocks).
  • Inline reference counts.
  • Command Palette to easily add new items and quickly do other actions.
  • Show related entities/docs (like graph analysis in Obsidian, or bundleIQ).
  • Native DNP functionality.
  • Readwise integration.
  • Ability to create dashboards (Coda, Notion).
  • Inline formulas (Coda).
  • Custom date formats and better/more date features, quarters, weeks, NLP.
  • Unlinked mentions for docs/entities/blocks.
  • More central task management.
  • More tightly integrated with mobile OS (Siri, Shortcuts, quick entry)
  • More intuitive nav and actions on mobile (I keep swiping to bring out the sidebar and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t).
  • Template + embedded tables/views + self-referencing filters (Notion, Coda, Obsidian)
  • Customize properties viewable inline (like current status property) and/or customize inline entity UI (Supercharged Links - Obsidian)
  • Nested pages/blocks.
  • Hide/Show properties always/never/when empty/etc
  • Hover over entity to view/edit (Obsidian/Logseq/Tana does nicely inline as well).
  • Create views via query and allow multiple types.
  • More UI customization (drag and drop panels, etc)
  • Formulaic access to rich text field (to extract highlights into another field for example)
  • Web Clipper
  • Recent entity/page view in sidebar
  • More keyboard shortcuts
  • Scroll to top/bottom option
  • Workspace Stats
  • Option to autosuggest or autolink entities.
  • Conditional formatting. I love how I can have conditional formatting in a table in Coda and it carries over when referenced in another table.
  • Notifications/reminders (on mobile especially)
  • Custom doc/feed/list/page/etc icons
  • (Can I no longer add pages with blocks?)
  • Create a new database while creating a new entity inline.

Thanks for your consideration :pray:

Thank you for the list! Find my replies/questions below

• Allow entities to belong to multiple types and inherit their properties (Obsidian, Tana).

This will not happen, Fibery was not designed this way. Maybe some use cases can be solved via relations+lookups, can you provide some cases for this?

• Easier templating for database items (Notion).

There are workarounds via automations and we are thinking about it. So there are chances we will add something easier to add.

• Show backlinks between docs (and blocks).

Will be added in relatively near future

• Inline reference counts.

Why do you need it?

• Command Palette to easily add new items and quickly do other actions.

Will be improved in future

• Show related entities/docs (like graph analysis in Obsidian, or bundleIQ).

Unlikely, very few requests and we are not sure about its usefulness. It looks cool, but I did not know any good use case.

• Native DNP functionality.

Could you explain what is it?

• Readwise integration.

Maybe in far future.

• Ability to create dashboards (Coda, Notion).

This will be added eventually

• Inline formulas (Coda).

There are good chances we will do it.

• Custom date formats and better/more date features, quarters, weeks, NLP.

Yep, in far future plans.

• Unlinked mentions for docs/entities/blocks.

In future plans.

• More central task management.

What do you mean here?

• More tightly integrated with mobile OS (Siri, Shortcuts, quick entry)

Far future.

• More intuitive nav and actions on mobile (I keep swiping to bring out the sidebar and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t).

Mobile Apps will be created eventually.

• Template + embedded tables/views + self-referencing filters (Notion, Coda, Obsidian)

embedded views are coming soon, not sure what you mean by self-referencing filters

• Customize properties viewable inline (like current status property) and/or customize inline entity UI (Supercharged Links - Obsidian)

This is here already

customize-units-mentions

• Nested pages/blocks.

Will be added in relatively near future

• Hide/Show properties always/never/when empty/etc

Interesting idea, we will think about it.

• Hover over entity to view/edit (Obsidian/Logseq/Tana does nicely inline as well).

Not sure, Fibery has panel nav, but we will collect feedback on this request.

• Create views via query and allow multiple types.

You can see multiple types/databases in all views (but Table) already, but it is not possible to create them via direct query, only UI. Most likely we will add something like this in future.

• More UI customization (drag and drop panels, etc)

In future plans

• Formulaic access to rich text field (to extract highlights into another field for example)

In future plans

• Web Clipper

We have a basic one https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/fibery-browser-extension/dkjdciblofkgdfoolehaahjajoggmdbp

• Recent entity/page view in sidebar

You can see them in Search now, do you mean you want to have some special UI to see them in a panel and quickly access?

• More keyboard shortcuts
  • Scroll to top/bottom option

Yeah, this is a pain, we will fix it eventually

• Workspace Stats

What do you mean here?

• Conditional formatting. I love how I can have conditional formatting in a table in Coda and it carries over when referenced in another table.

Not sure I got the idea.

• Notifications/reminders (on mobile especially)

Reminders can be configured via automation rules now. Most likely we will provide some simplified UI on top someday.

• Custom doc/feed/list/page/etc icons

In future plans

• (Can I no longer add pages with blocks?)

Yes, we removed this experimental feature, but it is coming in the next releases.

• Create a new database while creating a new entity inline.

Do you often create new databases?

1 Like

I don’t like to have redundant names for entities and frequently my entities belong to multiple types. For example: Meditation is a Knowledge Topic while also being a Habit while also being a Task. I want all of my research and knowledge on Meditation to be in one entity so I can use it during any of those contexts. Also, while I’m doing research and pulling together my info I don’t have the friction of having to decide where the info belongs or worse, having to copy and sync it among the three different same name entities in different places. This applies to many of my Knowledge Topic entities that also happen to be actions or actual objects like Dogs. Or something like Family which is also a Life Area.

2 Likes

It may not be that I need to see the actual number, but it is a reasonable UI for me to see, inline, that there are in fact references to that entity and provide a way to pull them up in context.

1 Like

You can create a formula field that is the count of references, and then choose that as one of the visible fields for entity mentions.

1 Like

What does it mean in practice that Meditation is all of these things?
What characteristics does a Topic have, what does a Habit have?
What does it mean to say that ‘meditation’ is a Task? Does it have a date? A series of dates?

I wonder even whether the model of using several databases is the right one. It sounds more like you might benefit from using a Tags database (that links to Topics, Tasks, etc.)

1 Like

Ok, that is a really good idea!

1 Like

dashboards are one thing that would really improve many workflows, a sort of “home” to organize things in

2 Likes

A Knowledge Topic is a topic that is important to me in my life where I collect knowledge, notes, research, resources, references, data etc and pull into a sharable and easily digestible resource for my life. It is related to life areas, other knowledge topics, dreams, goals, projects, tasks. It also has a priority and status.

A Habit/Routine is something that is consistently recurring and something I want to make a part of my lifestyle. It has a time of day, related events, is a part of a daily schedule. It’s related to a knowledge topic, life area, dream.

A task is what most people see as a task. It has a defer date, due date, effort, priority, status, duration. It’s related to a project, sometimes more than 1.

If I start getting into the question of whether a database is the right model, things get confusing. I don’t want some types to be determined sometimes by separate databases and some determined by tags. That’s too much mental effort to keep straight and to have to make that decision with each type.

I do use tags for typing in Tana and Obsidian and that works fantastically. But I don’t think I can solely use tags for typing in Fibery. Unless I’m not completely understanding how that would work and look in practice.

I have over 20,000 files and over 100 types so far. Each with their own properties and all tightly related to each other. I don’t want a single database with 20,000 entries and over 100 tags and many different weird relations pointing back to that same database.

I’m imagining a database for each type (so 100ish databases).

1 Like

This is disappointing to me. Not because the functionality doesn’t currently exist, but because it might not be even considered.

Seeing related notes is a major part of my current workflow. Maybe that’s being spoiled, but there are tools that offer me this, even if via a plugin.

I’m all about emerging insights and being able to make connections that aren’t immediately obvious or spelled out clearly via a direct backlink or even an unlinked mention. Whenever I’m working in a note I always have the graph analysis panel in my sidebar and hover over notes it suggests as related to pull in for my current note. For example if I’m working on a note about teaching my baby something and about generalization. Well lo and behold I worked on something years earlier about dog training and how they learn a behavior in many different environments. Not directly related perhaps, but definitely relevant.

It’s a feature that is much more than looking cool. It’s something I use everyday.

1 Like

Yes, sorry. DNP is daily notes page. A central page where I can dump all of my thoughts, notes, meetings, events, etc and not have to worry in the moment about where I’m putting things and taking time to navigate to a bunch of different databases. Plus I want everything to be tied to a date for review purposes.

It’s also helpful for mobile use to have a single place to put everything and to bookmark. Then I can come back later during my evening review and organize things if needed.

1 Like

This isn’t super important for desktop if I can create task entities inline and create a task view in favorites in the sidebar.

But it would be helpful for mobile use, which is where most of my tasks are completed from, because it would lead to things like an icon badge for due tasks and native alerts as well as widget support, etc etc. All things that lower friction and that I currently use for tasks.

1 Like

Yes please. An option somewhere (in the sidebar? A dropdown somewhere?). I use recently viewed/edited a lot. Can I set up my own with a view from all databases/docs sorted by modified date?

1 Like

Like:

103 databases
21,324 entities
2.95 GB storage
469,344 links

etc

1 Like

In Coda I can do things like the image below. Color cells based on various rules. The formatting also carries over when the item is referenced for example in the Today’s Exercises view. The green background in the weight column is green when empty to quickly indicate I need to fill it in.

I can apply formatting based on any property for any condition I can create via formula and apply it to certain cells or the whole row and have it carry over to other tables if I choose when referenced via relation.

I’ve also used color gradients to create heat maps for trading and such. Lots of possibilities.

2 Likes

It might seem weird, but yes I do! Especially starting out like I am with Fibery.

I actually ran into this being an issue this morning. I pulled up my Daily Notes feed on my phone when I was nursing my baby during the night. I wrote down a few notes about her and my husband. I wanted to create an entity for both of them inline, but I couldn’t because I didn’t yet have a database set up for people. Will I remember to go back to that note and link them once I have it set up? Who knows. I probably will because I wrote this post lol.

I keep track of many different types of things in my life. Everything. I live in an object oriented world. I keep track of them all and relate them all to each other. Food dishes, ingredients, animal breeds, wishlist items, belongings, symptoms, medicines, seasons, quotes, PDFs, cardio exercises, board games, countries, economic events, decisions, meetings, doctors, courses, oura ring data, etc. For me, each type is a database. I have over 100 types and I add more not infrequently.

Is that excessive? Maybe. But it works for me, especially when I lower all sources of friction. I automate a lot of what I do. I simplify my processes and curate views and dashboards to exactly what I need. It’s fast. My work is easy once things are set up correctly.

1 Like

So I just found that I can add “Colors” to views! I don’t think this carries over to relations in tables, but is a lot of what I want!

1 Like

Just out of interest, have you tried anytype?

1 Like

Yes. Doesn’t make sense to me at all. Way too structured, or something? I keep checking it out periodically, but really not for me so far.

1 Like

That’s interesting to hear, because anytype is less structured than Fibery in my eyes (anything can relate to anything else without predefined relationships).
It is very abstract (anything/everything is a type) and I couldn’t get it to match my way of thinking/working either

1 Like