No formula option available for Rule Action Filter

I encountered an issue while trying to create an automation rule in Fibery. I have a ‘Flag’ entity linked to a ‘Y Note’ entity through a many-to-many relationship. Additionally, the ‘Flag’ entity has a one-to-many relationship with a ‘Flagging’ entity, which includes a checkbox field named ‘Status’.

I attempted to create an automation rule that triggers when a ‘Y Note’ is unlinked from a ‘Flag’, with the goal of updating the ‘Status’ checkbox in the corresponding ‘Flagging’ entity. However, I found that I could not filter down to the specific ‘Flagging’ related to the ‘Y Note’ using a formula, without using a script.

Is there a way to achieve this without scripting, or is it a current limitation of Fibery’s automation rules? Any insights or workarounds would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

You have this:

Y Note ↔ Flag → Flagging
Y Note → Flagging

correct?

Why is Y Note related to Flagging both directly and indirectly (via Flag)?
What is the meaning of having both relations?

Anyway, I reckon you can do it by adding a lookup field in the Flagging DB (to get the Y Notes from its Flag) and then using an automation as follows:

(btw it wasn’t clear what you wanted to do to the status field; the above automation sets it as true, but maybe you wanted to clear it)

The direct link between Y Note and Flagging helps to track specific issues, like marking a particular note as “Spam” or “Abuse.” Meanwhile, the indirect connection through Flag allows for broader categorization, such as grouping flagged items under different categories like “Spam” or “Abuse.” This setup helps to keep track of different types of issues and how they are connected to specific notes. For example, when a user selects a flag (e.g., “Spam” or “Abuse”) from a dropdown in the Y Note field, a Flagging is created behind the scenes, capturing details such as the user, timestamp, flag type, and whether the flagging has been unflagged. This comprehensive system allows for effective tracking and management of various flagged issues across the community.

I will test this now…

Thank you @Chr1sG that worked indeed, using the lookup field. I did not even have to add the status formula, it apparently already works like that upon testing, although I may have overlooked something.

It appears to work:

chrome_snl54CtuSf

What should happen in this case:

Y Note A - Flag X → Flagging 1, Flagging 2
Y Note A → Flagging 1, Flagging 3

if Y Note A is unlinked from Flag X?

As I understood your need, the Status of Flagging 1 should be updated (and nothing else).
Without the formula in the update action, then the Status of Flagging 1 and Flagging 2 will be updated, no?

Yes indeed the result of leaving out the formula results in other flaggings from other Y Notes to be unchecked.

Your suggested rule with formula however, applies to the Flagging database, and Flaggings never lose either their link to the Flag or the Y Note, thus there is not a trigger available for Flaggings; they only change their checkbox status.
So tried to create a new rule in the Y Note database:
When:
Entity unlinked from an Y Note - from field ‘My Flags’
Then:
Update my Flaggings
Field: Checkbox Status - Formula ??

I tried:
If([Step 1 Y Note] = [Flaggings.Note], true, Flaggings.Status)

the formula cannot be saved because it give the error: Reference to undefined variable Flaggings.Note Such formula is not supported at the moment.

That’s why you need the lookup field.
You can detect that the Flagging’s Flag has become disconnected from a Y Note by triggering on ‘unlink’ for the lookup field.

Yes you are right, now it works.
Amazing how you solved my post in a few minutes while it costed me hours to understand your answer. Thanks again!

This may still be useful as feedback from me:
I was thinking your suggested lookup trigger would not work because the select field says
“Entity unlinked from a Flagging” - “Flag Y Notes” so I was confused because of that first sentence. Maybe when using a lookup, a notification can be shown that the trigger does not apply to the Flagging but to the lookup field.