Group by the same database relation - Also for deeper levels

It appears that we can only group by the same database relation of the first level database in views.
I have the need to also group databases on deeper levels.

Example:

So the solution would be to implement:

Continuing the discussion from No "hierarchical" option in List views for second-level DB?:

For example, my first-level menu is projects and the second-level menu is tasks. At this time, I hope that the second-level menu tasks can set sub-tasks contiously.

I think this scene should be more common.

1 Like

Hello again, I don’t understand why you quote the reply of this post, because he raised the same question in this post, but your team didn’t respond positively that whether this function will be realized?

We often make links to related topics here in the forum so that visitors can more easily explore.
This feature is in the backlog with no ETA.

Is this effectively the same request as this:

?

Yes, it is.I have seen at least two other users who have the same needs as me.

See also:

Eventually we will make it work for the LAST level of hierarchy as well. I hope in the next few months. But it is unlikely that it will work on all levels…

2 Likes

For the time being, I think this is enough.

Yes, this would be great. Sure Yvette can explain better than me why we would love this!

Maybe the developers can share their technical considerations for this case here for transparency? Is it because of peformance concerns (deeper into the hierarchy, the number of records and relationships can grow exponentially, requires efficient algorithms to handle it), or are there other challenges?
Because this feature is a frequent and intuitive need and half-implemented (you can group, but actually no sorry you can’t) it may be worth prioritizing or at least openly brainstorming about it.

We have a fairly complex internal prioritisation framework, that takes into account a lot of things - including the number of votes an idea in the community has, but a great deal of other things as well.
The difficulty of implementation is also not the only consideration. In fact, we have features in the backlog which may be relatively small pieces of work to implement, but that doesn’t mean that they necessarily move up the priority order.

At the moment, we have other features that are being tackled, which are considered to be of greater overall priority/value.

1 Like

Hi @ChrisG,

Can you help us with a workaround in the meantime? We have a very basic use case which we so far can’t fix.

What we need

• An overview of projects with their tasks and subtasks (example: 6 client projects)
  • The only goal/need is that once every week the project manager can fill in the deadline/priority/assignees for subtasks/tasks. They need an overview of all active client projects since the status of a tasks (i.e. ‘waiting’) determines if other tasks in other projects can already be picked up or not.

Problem

• If we use a self relation task/(sub)task, then the subtasks are not shown in a view (because it’s second level)
  • If we create a separate database for subtasks (which we did), we’re having problems in several views.

Yes, you can then create a grid view with project/task/subtask.

But every team member has an ‘overview Today’. There you will bump into different problems because you need to choose between:

• always show a subtask seperately → that’s the only way to see subtasks with deadline ‘today’
  • but ideally you want to show the task with their subtasks in overview today → since the subtasks are usually tiny steps to achieve the task

Unfortunately you can’t do both.

:arrow_up: The only way to fix this in ‘overview today’, is to use a self relation task/subtask. But then we can’t create the overall project views because second level tasks will not show :woman_shrugging:t2:

We need to migrate our clients from ClickUp & Asana to Fibery. They are currently using subtasks a lot for bigger projects.

So I hope we can find a way in the meantime to have a workable solution for this basic use case.

Not sure I get this.
Why do you need to show subtasks separately? Is it a problem to do with filtering the subtasks/parent tasks?

Most of the time the subtask doesn’t have the exact same deadline as the parent task.

So example

• Task A: planning = next week
  • Subtask 1: deadline = Today
  • Subtask 2: deadline = Tomorrow
  • Subtask 3: deadline = next week

In the above mentioned scenario, you will never see the subtask with deadline Today, since Task A doesn’t have a deadline Today.

You will only see the subtask in overview Today if you show them seperately.

The problem is that there are multiple scenarios where the set-up is as followed.

• Task A: deadline = Today
  • Subtask 1/2/3: no deadline

In this scenario, you ideally want to see the task/subtask relation in Today’s view.

But you can’t, if you’ve choosen to show subtasks seperately (because you need to if you don’t want to miss important deadlines)

It’s a real struggle for us.

We use project templates a lot and in those templates most subtasks automatically have a deadline, prio, assignee etc.

But when a user creates task + subtasks themselves, they usually only have a deadline for the task and not for the subtask.

But they do want to see them in overview ‘Today’ so that they can change state from subtasks etc.

If we can’t solve this, we need to tell them that they always need to open the task to see it’s subtasks + information about those subtasks. That’s something they are not used to in ClickUp & Asana.

Is this image taken from a smart folder?

Or is it just a standard left menu view (list or grid)?

All are context views.

We don’t use smart folders at all since we’ve created ‘Menu pages’ → entities that act as a menu and where we can combine all kind of databases and (context) views. It makes the left menu really short and less overwhelming since we can switch between views (My tasks / all tasks / etc.)

You can also have a look at our set-up.

So if I understand, you are trying to apply a context filter which will include a Task if it has a deadline Today OR if it has Subtasks which have a deadline Today, right?

If so, it seems like we need to figure out how to have a field on the Task which will connect the Task to ‘Today’ in either of these cases. Then you can use this field as a context filter.

I’m thinking that something like this will do the trick:

If(
  Subtasks.Filter(Deadline.Name = "Vandaag").Count() > 0,
  Subtasks.Filter(Deadline.Name = "Vandaag")
    .Sort()
    .First().Deadline,
  Deadline
)

Then you can use this as a context filter, instead of the default one:
firefox_9l2Gd3g7yw

Note: maybe ‘Applies today’ is not a great name for the field, but I hope you get the intention.

Hi Chris,

Thank you so much; we’ve implemented different solutions since our set-up is quite complex (we have an overview ‘today’, but also ‘focus or bonus’ (no specific deadline/planning), overview ‘tomorrow’ and overviews for week/month/quarter/year etc.)

But @Marloes & I found a solution for all our use cases regarding planning/formulas with different formulas :partying_face:

Only problem that we have is that we also have overviews with ‘my tasks’ → a filter where assignee = me.

If the subtask has another assignee then the main task, the subtask will not show in the overviews.

So I’m trying formulas to get the assignee of the subtask also in a field of the main task.

I can do this via automation but rather want it via formula. However; it seems that I can’t retrieve the subtasks’ assignees :woman_shrugging:t2:

Do you have a trick for this? Or is an automation needed?