[DONE] Display recursive relationship (task -> subtask) when it's not the "first level"?

I’m having a lot of fun trying to setup Fibery in a way that works for us, but running into some roadblocks when it comes to actually using it for getting tasks/subtasks done in a sprint. I’m coming from ClickUp which makes it very easy to deal with subtasks.

Here’s the hierarchy I’m trying to model in a list/grid view:

• Release
    – Task (relationship to Release)
    — Subtask (self-referenced relationship to Task)

Since my first level is a “Release”, I’m not getting the “Group by the same database relation” option.

If I make the “Task” the first level, I can see the nested subtasks, but then I can’t easily see the important information that’s on the release (budget, client, etc)

If I create “Subtasks” as a completely separate database and then relate them to “Tasks”, I can also get the nesting I want, but then I need to create a whole set of other fields and relationships that make things very messy and complicated.

Am I missing something? Or is there a realistic workaround? It’s somewhat of a dealbreaker for us.

2 Likes

There is no easy solution to this, I’m afraid to say.
Currently, self-relations only work for the top-level database, but we do have a feature pending to support at the bottom level as well.

In the meantime, you could consider using a smart folder of Releases, with a hierarchical list/grid view of Tasks in each one.
Or you could configure the relation view for each Release to show the Tasks with self-relations enabled.

But neither of these will totally eliminate a degree of ‘context switching’, admittedly.

1 Like

Ahh, that sucks! Do you have an approximate timeline on self-relation-at-bottom-level feature?

No ETA I’m afraid to say.

The other “workaround” is to get rid of the Release Type and roll all its fields into Task. :cry:

But seriously, keeping your current Type hierarchy where you can only display Releases and top-level Tasks in a View, it is a one-click operation to open any particular Task in the right-side panel, where you can see its subtasks.

And in that Task entity view, I believe the “subtasks” self-relation CAN show the fully-nested view of the subtasks tree.

Tasks can also easily show their subtask count, and can be color-coded according whether they have any subtasks.

1 Like

Nice suggestions @Matt_Blais

1 Like