Enhancement for Rich Text fields like references to files and improvement of the global search

Context
As a user, I want to refer to the uploaded files in order to mention them in the description (rich text field) of the same entity or other entities.

As a user, I want to change the meta infos of my uploaded file, in order to give them consent names or to find them better via the search.

How does it work now
At the moment you can only copy a fixed link to the file and paste it into the description. But it’s not possible to find them via the search.

Possible solution
In general, the search can only be used to view entries that have recently been viewed. As soon as a filter is set in the search, all entities should be displayed, otherwise you always have to open the entity to be referenced before you can link it.

Maybe these references are also necessary for images and other files. maybe it would also be good if you can drag&drop files into the rich text field and a reference is automatically created.

2 Likes

I would definitely like to see more capability around file/attachment handling. Description would be a start, for me, and additional meta data would be nice, certainly. Linking would also be great.

2 Likes

I could only second my opinion about that. And would add that’s I’m personally would not bother with a Attachment concept. Or see the attachment as reference to a doc repository. which evn cold be local to fibery.io and created as part of “the uploading” but from there it should be treated as a file repository with all metadata attached to it.

Something mire was described here: [TO IMPLEMENT] Drag PDF to wiki fails to produce a preview - #9 by Holger_Winkelmann

tl,dr; I would see fibery.io not as a content store rather a cross-index to Information to, or better inside of documents.

I ran into another particular need for linking to files within text today. For meeting agendas and notes it would be really nice to be able to link to the exact file relevant to a specific agenda item. It’s arguably a small thing if the file is in the same Entity as the meeting agenda, but it shouldn’t have to be. So it becomes the difference between:

Item 1

You can review the proposal in “proposal.pdf” attached in #entityZ [link to entity]

Item 1

You can review the proposal by clicking here [file ideally pops-up in a new tab or something]

The first is obviously much clunkier, especially when the file is in another entity.

@Chr1sG (or other admins) I was going through some Rich Text-related requests and bugs today, and made some minor changes. But I think this one needs more that I can’t necessarily do. Probably this should be two feature requests, one is largely unrelated to the other I think:

• Link Files in Rich Text (search-and-link similar to Link Entity)
  • Improvements to File Handling, e.g. renaming

I think the latter, in particular, needs its own feature request. If it’s better if I make one, I am happy to do that.

2 Likes