CHANGELOG: Nov 10 / New Terms (App → Space, Type → Database), New Space Editor, Actions in Headers in Table View, Phone field

You’re 100% right about quantitative and qualitative. I meant for this specific type of feedback around terminology, while it’s always interesting to get feedback I’m afraid as existing users we might be a bit biased. But some of us here can act as proxy for other users in their org so, yeah, why not :slight_smile:

100% agree also on the idea that overwhelming the user with complex templates from the start is not optimal. As you said, make the user play a bit with the concepts with very simple databases, Then show them what kind of use cases they can accomplish with templates feels like a better way to go!

1 Like

The most common question is: why do we have all records view if we have filtered views? It’s unusable anyway.

I love the relationship dialog.

However I suggest to improve the visual a little bit.

Instead of regular arrows, please use the DB convention, which would make it clear, where is many and where 1:

project
|
|
|
/|\
meeting >----< attendees
|
|
|
/|\
action item

1 Like

There are few things behind this decision:

1. Previously you had to imagine how data looks in your head, working with Type editor, and it is hard for many people. I’ve added Lookup, does it work? I have to go to some View to check, then go back. I’ve added a relation. Is it the right one? Now you can just check it right here.
  2. It is much easier to test automations now, when you setup a rule and may try it right away
  3. It is a common way to setup databases in popular tools (Airtable, Notion), and it makes UI more familiar
4 Likes

This looks great. The visual explanation at the start does a great job of laying out core concepts.

My only nitpick is that I would expect the + sign in the left menu to create new Databases as well as new views. But still, you made database creation much more obvious, I think.

At this point I’m afraid I am indeed too biased to give objective feedback on the UI like Simon said, new users will provide you with more useful insights :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know it’s not ‘correct’ but maybe this is better?

project
|
|
|
/\
meeting >----< attendees
|
|
|
/\
action item

Yeah we have this idea in mind, but decided to postpone it since indeed Database creation is relatively straightforward now. But we will see.

Our general users do not involved in these 3 points. We set up it in the background. But if they click on the app they see the following screen:

PS: We do not want to say the new UI is bad. It’s useful for admins but it’s weird for regular users due to other views inside the app.

2 Likes

Good point, we will think about it. Our case was focused on first user I think, so we kinda ignored other users :slight_smile:

1 Like

How about having the option to set up a custom document as the “home screen” of the app / space? Clicking in the app’s name would show this document rather than the more “admin-like” vue pictured above. And there would be a shortcut to go “administrate” the app that could lead to the current view.

With the future block update, such an approach would allow for admins / space managers to design some kind of tutorial for new users of the app, even embedding views inside the doc as a way to guide users…

We use notion at my main company and it’s a pattern that we apply quite instinctively : every page at the top level of the hierarchy (which in our model can roughly correspond to fibery spaces) is set up as a kind of welcome / tutorial / table of contents for what is inside

2 Likes

for me this would work. I just logged in from another non-admin users and indeed, showing the entire table when they click on the app name is weird and confusing.

I think all apps should have a description document or something so when people without rights to change the app structure click on it, will show that document instead. Another way is to select a default view and simply route users to it.

2 Likes

I guess it will be available after “the blocks” feature will be released.

In a database “view”, I miss the functionality as available in a table view where I can change the order of the columns when I select the “+” in order to be be more logically grouped:
hs-server000060

In the database “view”, the “+”, adds a new field to the database. This functionality is duplicated from the “+New Field” option above the “+”.
The new field functionality of the “+” could be removed and replaced with the “+” functionality as in the table view.
hs-server000061

1 Like

The + New Field button can be useful for people who have a lot of columns, when otherwise scrolling right to get to the + column heading would be a pain…

1 Like

I think you misunderstood, I am not suggesting to change the + New button and agree with what you said. The + column heading duplicates the functionality of the +New button and is not necessary. If it has the same functionality as what is already present in other + column buttons as shown in my first picture, it will be consistent with functionality already present in fibery.

Oh, sorry. I get you now.
I think the + option (the column header) does not provide the same options as it does in Table view because this database view is intended to support configuring the fields more than allowing for alternate representations of the same data set.
So e.g. columns (fields) cannot be hide-able, there is no sorting, filtering, colour-coding etc.

I can agree that column ordering is arguably an option that is beneficial for both ‘configuration mode’ and ‘data presentation mode’, but I believe there is actually a technical issue that is a greater determining factor on why it is not currently supported :wink:

1 Like

Hmm, a technical issue would be strange as the same table component is used on both tables. Reading the “explosive” feedback on the changes, the duplication of the functionality and non-consistency in functionality will definitely not be allowed to pass. :grin: I will take your feedback as a formal acknowledgement that it is not an oversight.

1 Like

Made a quick mockup of what you should maybe do to make Templates more obvious on new user workspaces (only new user/first time).

Collapse and Close are just two thoughts I had on how people could get rid of it if they wanted to. Don’t have to have both, one or the other, or something else. Main proposal is put that video down there, and maybe clicking it takes the user to: https://workspacename.fibery.io/fibery/apps-gallery/All_Templates and pops-up the video automatically?

By the way, on my end, when I click “Start with Template” video, it pops up and two copies of the video are playing. If I pause the main, visible one, the audio keeps going. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I actually wonder if it makes sense that there is an onboarding wizard/workflow built-into fibery that (1) is setup to walk new fibery admins/creators through the process and basic concepts for fibery and (2) can be customized/developed by creators/admins to onboard their users to learn how to use the app/spaces that have been created. I feel while (1) helps you get new (technically orientated) customers/IT staff (2) helps them sell the platform to their companies/colleagues.

Most apps provide something that covers item 1 but leave the creators with having to build their own material for onboarding their staff. Some systems at least have wikis/pages to support this (e.g. fibery’s docs/read.me) while other tools force creators to build something external. Some apps also insist on showing tours/onboarding to all new users who will never be required to do any setup/admin/development and really confuse the end users.

I think building out onboarding process takes a lot of effort and thought so I wonder if it can be put to a greater use throughout the entire lifecycle of the product (including for communicating new features/upgrades/processes). Taking into account fibery’s focus on flexibility, I feel this might be worth at least some thought or discussion.

1 Like

I’m a big fan of learning through gamification. No idea what this might look like for Fibery. Great product + gamification = :exploding_head:

3 Likes