CHANGELOG: April 14 / Duplicate entity, Audit Log for all users, Convert entity improvements

Duplicate entity

Now you can duplicate any entity in Fibery. Just find Duplicate action in … menu in Entity View or on a card:

2021-04-14 15.54.40

Note: Entity duplication doesn’t duplicate inner Collections and References. For example, if you have a project with 100 tasks and duplicate this project, a new project with 0 tasks will be created.

Audit Log is accessible by all users

In previous releases Audit Log was visible for Admins only, now any user has access to the Audit Log. It takes into consideration access permissions so only accessible entities changes will be visible here.

Entity Convert Improvements

• A comment with a reference to the original entity is inserted into a new entity.
  • If there is one rich text field in both Types, copy rich text value from the original entity to the new entity disregarding the name of the rich edit field.
  • Audit Log shows the user who did the conversion now
2 Likes

Interesting, thanks for adding that. Played around with it a little and the comment reference on the new results in a reference showing up on the original entity, which is nice. This might be the extent of my knowledge. I know you can reference the entities References via formula. Trying to think of a way to use this to identify all open entities that were converted to another type, where the converted type now has a state of “Done” or something like that. In other words, having the reference is a great quick solution so at least there is a reference, but I’m curious if there is any way to clean up dangling entities that were converted.

One thing I just realized is that a future improvement might be to give the user a choice if they want to keep the original or not on this dialog you already have.

One caveat that I noticed with this approach is that it requires the comments extension to be activated on the destination type. It might not be obvious that users are potentially missing out on this feature when converting it from one type to another.

Haven’t had a chance to play with this yet. I’m just a little confused about the wording. If there is 1 rich text field, I get it will work. What if there is more than one rich text field? For example, 1 on the original type, and 2 on the destination type, or vice versa? The way I’m reading this is that it wouldn’t be copied in those cases?

Yes, we are going to do that when there will be Undelete action available and Move All References action implemented.

You are right, no copy in this case

1 Like

When I tried it on an entity with the workflow extensions enabled, the state of the duplicate was not the same as the original. Perhaps this is intentional and you have decided that new entities (either manually created or born as a duplicate) should always be in the default starting state?

This is intentional indeed.

I’m not sure you will be able to implement your idea using that strategy. When using references in formulas, I don’t think there is any way of getting data from the fields of the referring entity. You can determine the Type, ID, and specific Field that the reference relates to, but otherwise not much else.

It’s almost as though ‘reference’ is a bit like a variant type, and the formula can’t ‘know’ at coding time what fields might be available.

This is something I would also like, asked about it here:

Would you be interested in all those options @rothnic?

Thanks!

This is a nice touch guys! Thanks for implementing so soon.

I did want to point out that this is also something I noticed, good catch @rothnic

There might be some UI implications, but I’d love to have the info that the entity was converted from another always display, perhaps somewhere else on the Entity card besides Comments, since the lack of the Comments extension in the new Entity will indeed mean you can’t see this?

And love the Toast notification that pops up and let’s you navigate right away to the new Entity, Bravo guys! Since you can convert to any other Type, without this Toast you’d be left searching around for a table with that Type to see the new Entity. Would love to see you guys continue to develop Toasts all across Fibery, I’ll reference that request here:

@Oshyan, is your need for Toasts as great as ever?

Thanks!

1 Like

You know it! All toasts, all the time. :smile: It’s nice to see some initial use of it now, and I do hope it is a sign of future more broad use in Fibery!

1 Like

Ok great to hear that. Yes, I was exceptionally excited to see how they implemented this…took me off guard, but so encouraging!

1 Like

Is there some code in an action button that duplicate an entity with all his related childs en their related childs, etc.? :slight_smile:

There isn’t, and actually, it might not be a good idea:
If a button duplicated an entity and all it’s relations, and all it’s relations’ relations, etc., the result could, in some cases, end up being a duplication of everything in the workspace, since one of the strengths of fibery comes from being able to relate everything together :slight_smile:

1 Like

I understand and maybe you’re gonna have a better idea! :slight_smile: I’m trying to create a content pipeline for my video game company. For example, if I want to create a monster/biped/small, I would like to predefine a number of steps with different tasks with a task type and a pre-estimation. Could look like this :

1. Design
  • T1 Draw what the enemy would look like.
  • T2 Create the enemy in 3D
  • T3 Put some textures on it, etc.
  1. Development
  • T1 Anim Walk
  • T2 Anim Attack
  • T3 Anim Dead
  • T4 Audio FX, etc.
  1. Integration
  • T1 insert moving AI behaviors
  • T2 Test it in the game, etc.

I’m gonna have a lot of pipelines based on game elements types with each a different number of task and a pre-estimation (animating a biped is not the same effort than animating an hydra quadruped for exemple).

What I was thinking was to create some kind of blueprints with generic tasks and pre-estimations. Each time my development team start working on on a game content of the same type, they juste press a button and it duplicate the generic pipeline structure and attach it to the game content entity so they can start working on it. On the management side, it helps us to plan effort needed in the futur and make sure that designers or developers don’t go too far and stay within the limit of effort we agreed to put on each type of game content. It also provides consistency along the game and give a better player experience.

Don’t know I explained it well enough, but my team decided to go full Fibery and drop Wrike/Miro so any way I can achieve this will be most welcome :slight_smile:

Thanks!

LF

1 Like

It sounds eminently possible.
I’ve actually decided to set myself up to offer Fibery assistance/consulting, so if you’d like some assistance with your workspace setup/maintenance, feel free to pm me and we can arrange something :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, it would be great if Fibery had intrinsic support for the idea of a “template” of arbitrary connected
entities, which could be instantiated.

Your need sounds like a typical “workflow” application, which I am also interested in creating.

Polina helped me creating a basic version of this a few months ago, but all of the entity copying was done with custom code - not exactly simple!

2 Likes

Another use case is onboarding tasks. Ideally you would like to have a template Onbarding entity that is linked to template tasks (which are assigned to different teams), and instantiate an Onboarding for Joe.
HR, manager would then customized the tasks fields as needed.
So Joe, manager, HR and other people on Joe’s onboarding could see in a board view the different tasks they have to perform.

Trello is doing that very well: New Employee Onboarding: A Success Template For Every Hire

Hi @Matt_Blais, could you share the code?

My studio is part of a group called the Indie Asylum. We’re 8 indie game companies for a total of 110+ employees. Back in 2019 when I joined them, I was in charge to choose the PM tool that everybody would use to share expertise and workflows. One of my concern was not only to find a good tool that will help us with game development, but to find something that will help us manage employees, onboarding, vacations, forms (was very helpful with the Covid thing…). I chose Wrike for a lot of reasons (wasn’t aware of Fibery back in the days), but mainly for the blueprints which is what this post is about. We have all our HR processes created by or HR director (Hi Claudia! :smiley: ) and each company use it when we onboard a new employee(among other things); even without any HR knowledges.

I switched all my pipelines to Wrike one month ago (15 devs) because I wanted to get rid of the misconnects between using Wrike, Miro and Notion. Right now, recreating all my pipelines in Fibery, I realize that I could make a good use of the Wrike’s blueprints paradigm in Fibery. Pretty sure that there is a way with action buttons and APi, but I’m not good enough with NodeJS to implement it. :slight_smile:

Hi, Louis-Felix

Thanks for your question. Please find an example of templating which can be implemented in Fibery.

1. Go to type editor and select parent entity type for editing above tasks.

2. Add button “Apply Development Template” and add actions “Add Tasks Item” with pre-configured name or effort. I also change the name of Story to “Development” using update action.

3. Please find below how it works when you want to create story using this template button.
    ezgif-6-a8e903449bed

You may want to create “Apply Integration Template”, “Apply Design Template” and etc.
Please let me know if it doesn’t help.

Thanks,
Oleg

3 Likes

Thanks @Oleg for the clear example.
For now it only work to add template with only 1 level entities. Let’s say I would like to have SubTask (Task has a one to many relationship to SubTask) ? I cannot add them as template, I can only add existing SubTask. Do you plan to have an arbitrary nested template, ie having a “add XX item” for any nested relationship?

1 Like