Assignee Specific Workflow

I don’t think what you were referring is the same @B_Sp.

I think what you’re referring to in relation to moving items through a process could be easily achieved using Fibery automations. We do that with some of our processes.

On a side note, one thing we’ve also done is to create a super long workflows and then split it into different views, so when someone moves an entity into the right most column of one view, it automatically appears on the left most column in another view. No automations needed.

Anyway, I think my comments to @Chr1sG above should clarify what I was referring to more clearly. I thought I was clear in the original video at the top and subsequent comments, but maybe not.

Sorry @webinit I didn’t make myself clear. What I meant was: do any of your users need a workflow that has multiple possible paths? In other words, from state A, it is possible to go to B or C, and from B it is possible to go back to A or onwards to D, etc.?
Or is it acceptable for the flow to just be A → B → C → D?

Also, when there are user specific workflows, are the states the same for all users? Or is it possible that John needs Open → In Progress → Done but Stacey needs Pending → Active → Archived ?

1 Like

I’m not certain I’m clear on your question @Chr1sG. At the moment we transition between states either manually or using automations. There’s nothing to stop us in any workflow from moving a card from A to C or D and back to B or A again. That’s fully possible and we do do that, both manually and through automations. I can show you an example at some stage if needed.

So far, for us, when dealing with a single entity, everyone just needs the same workflow. I’ve not come across a situation yet where variance in that is needed.

Got it.
I know that our current workflow allows this, I just wasn’t sure if your processes meant such transitions actually happened.

Ok great. I might have an idea for a workaround that would help you. Will post something later.

2 Likes

Here’s what I would suggest for implementing an ‘assignee specific workflow’ for @webinit’s use case:

Create a database called ‘Assignee state’ which has three fields:

• workflow field (State) with whatever values you like
  • relation to one User
  • relation to one Task

(I’ve used a formula field for the Name, but it’s not that important)

Create a pair of automations in the Task DB that will create/unlink Assignee states, whenever an Assignee is added/removed to/from a Task:

(the formula is: [Step 1 Task].[Assignee states].Filter(User != [Step 1 unlinked User]))

Create an automation in the Assignee state DB that will delete the entity if it becomes detached from a Task (or a User):

Now, for each Task you will see a set of states for each Assignee, and because fields can now be edited inline, the State can be updated without leaving the Task entity view.

firefox_N1KmUMWtUc

Also, you can have a board view (of Assignee state cards) which represents Task progress per Assignees:

firefox_pxZvURq5k6

Is this useful?

3 Likes

Thanks @Chr1sG!

I appreciate the attention you’ve given to this.

Looks like a great workaround.

I can see other applications for it also.

Will get my hands dirty with it and see how the team responds.

Thank you!