Allow user to specify content of Rich Text field when creating a new entity via Button

In the case of a Button that creates an entity, it would be quite useful if we could “allow the user to specify the value” for Rich Text fields, like Description.

Bonus points if the Button can create “default content” via Markdown, and let the user customize it.

I really like this idea and feel it would really help with quick capture of ideas, particularly if you are able to use markdown templates to generate prompts, etc…

I think generally, fibery doesn’t really offer a lot of options around an entity’s creation, which I find quite disruptive from a cognitive perspective as I have to choose between losing my train of thought or coming back to something later (and again risk losing context). I see this request as being linked very closely to our other discussion around Ask user input for rules as wells as having ability to display and set more field inline in rich text fields/docs.

I would vote for this but I’ve been demoted :frowning: But you have my vote!

2 Likes

I used the following workaround:

1. A rule to precreate a bunch of empty entities with tag ‘Empty’.
  2. A rule to link such empty entity to the current entity, such that it pops up as a Feed item with body in a dedicated general utility field at the top of the current entity.
  3. A Submit button on the feed item to unlink and flag as promoted entity.
  4. A rule to recreate new entity with tag Empty, to top up the repository of empty entities.

Another approach is to have an extra rich text field on the current entity that is dedicated to creating new entities (like a permanent form field) and an automation can copy and clear that that to build the new entity.

These are working but inefficient, so this feature request is still on.

1 Like