Add "Page"/Document sync to Notion Integration

When I first read that the new-ish Notion integration didn’t support “Documents”, I wasn’t that concerned. While I do have a lot of Notion “Pages” with contents I’d like to move into Fibery, the databases are far more important. And those, I thought, would be imported in full.

Well, it turns out that the document/“page” contents of database entries is also apparently not imported?? This seems like a massive limitation, really. In Notion, because of the way databases are setup, they’re basically just collections of pages with Properties. You’re encouraged by the UI/UX to put content into the “page” contents area. While in Fibery you might often have entities with little or no “rich text”, or even delete that field altogether at times, in Notion this is mostly unheard of (and actually impossible in the sense that you can’t delete the “page” area). So not importing this content is basically a crippling limitation on the Notion sync, as far as I’m concerned.

I am strongly hoping that it is intended to add page/doc sync, both inside and outside databases, for the Notion integration. I’m not certain that the Notion API supports it, but I would think so, and I certainly hope so!

How about it Fibery team, is this coming soon?? It would solve a lot of problems for me if it were!

Hi!
We definitely plan to add that, but no promises so far
Good news that now one of the teams is focused on import & migration
Now it’s more about planning & research, but hopefully, soon we will have smth to show :slight_smile: (or not! that’s not a promise, who knows how it goes!)

1 Like

Question to the devs: is it the case that the Notion API does not offer good access to the Page Contents or that the Page Contents data it provides is hard to work with (e.g. proprietary blocks)?

I ask because I recently realized I might be able to work around the Fibery limitation by using Zapier or Integromat to connect between Notion and Fibery. But attempts with both of them did not show any Page Contents that was accessible in the content that got pulled from Notion. Their API documentation does seem to indicate page contents is available, but it appears to be in a proprietary JSON format (the more I read/research for writing this reply, the more I may be answering my own question :smile:).

Perhaps this could be used to ingest:

But it gets back to the issue for me of not being able to code my own bulk MD importer for Fibery. :pensive:

Ironically my use of Notion is partly just a hoped-for workaround to the lack of Easy import of markdown docs to wiki. I could do it via CSV, but I haven’t found an easy, non-programmer way to get Markdown into CSVs! :weary:

2 Likes

Its pretty serious this is still not working. I imported Notion pages, and only the fields are imported, not the page contents itself. Can we have an update about this? Thanks!

2 Likes

Yes this is a really bummer. We will onboard clients that already have Notion. Hard to explain that there is an integration, but without the content :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

It is a feature currently in the Icebox, so no ETA

Thanks for pushing us to work on this! Let me give you some updates on what’s going on.

We’ve been working on integrating Notion but realized we couldn’t do it right without nested documents. Now we’ve got that support, and we’re starting to work on importing markdown files.

Right now, we’re focused on adding support to import multiple markdown files, and after that, we’ll extend it to work with other products like Notion. No exact date when it will be ready, but we’re hoping for sometime in Q3 2023.

If you have any questions or requests, let us know! Thanks for your patience.

5 Likes

I appreciate the further details here! While I’d like it sooner, this progression of functionality makes sense, and does provide good value along the way (I am particularly looking forward to multi-markdown import).

2 Likes

Great, thanks for the update @kalman! Really happy with the nested documents and the call out block update that is almost ready :star_struck::star_struck: And import of multiple markdown files is also awesome!

1 Like

While we are ‘waiting’…in the meantime, did anyone have success with using Zapier/Pipedream or similar to import and sync from Notion to Fibery?

1 Like

Here is the multiple markdown import.
The next step is some presets to handle different export options.

5 Likes

Very exciting, the expectation to be able to migrate Notion content over to Fibery soon. Thanks!

3 Likes

In case you missed the release in June: Add “Page”/Document sync to Notion Integration - Ideas & Features / Integrations - Fibery Community:

Markdown import now supports Notion’s and Fibery’s export formats. It automatically creates the document structure during import and removes the ids from files and folder names.

2 Likes