Add New Entity on Views

This is probably my biggest complaint with Fibery since moving over. Having all our data in Fibery is great, and we have managed to migrate a large amount into it so far. However, manually adding data still feels counterintuitive to me and, to be honest, is a bit of a hassle.

There have been multiple occasions where I have gone to add an entity to one of our views, and it just disappears; I have no idea where it goes. I’ve traced this back to the fact that we use a lot of smart folders to manage projects, alongside various views that are often grouped by a specific property.

Whenever I need to add a new item to one of our views, the default “+ New” button opens up and only gives you the option to set a name and description by default. I assume we then have to customise this form for every single view, but we have close to 50 different views now. Some are just for storing relatively insignificant pieces of data that we want to reference, such as adding an expense. Manually setting up all the fields for the “+ New” button on every view wastes a lot of time.

It would be nice if, by default, clicking the New button on any view automatically displayed the properties already visible on that view. That way, we wouldn’t have to set up individual forms, especially when the visible fields are exactly what we need to populate for the view in hand.

Another issue I have run into is adding new items to a view within a smart folder. Inside our smart folder we have all of our client projects, containing various dashboards and views (mostly table views). Whenever I add an item, for example, a content item to a project’s content view (which is a mirrored view, in case that helps diagnose this), it does not automatically assign itself to that current project. By default, everything inside that smart folder project is filtered to that project, but newly created items are not.

This has happened while on a call with another team member: we create a piece of content, and it immediately disappears from view because it lacks that filter property. Then I have to go into architect mode, find the content database, and locate the item I just created. It is inevitably missing all of its properties because, by default, it only offers title and description fields, whereas we might have 20 or 30 different properties for a piece of content.

I also created a separate feature request for this: when adding items within a grouped view, could we add an entity inline so it automatically adopts that group? If possible, it should also automatically inherit whatever filters are already applied. For instance, if a view is filtered by a certain state or project (like within a smart folder), adding an item inline should automatically apply that project or filtered attribute.

This is relatively minor feedback, but right now it is the single thing causing a lot of friction in our move to Fibery.

What sort(s) of views are you referring to (list, board, table, … )?