A few bugs/issues I encountered

Some of them I already sent to support. These are all spotted in 1-2 days when trying to set up my workspace:

• CSV import gives an error if there are cells with a hyphen surrounded by blanks like " - "
  • I tried importing about 2000 items, I waited a bit, got small “DB error” box or similar that showed for a second and disappeared. I tried a few times, I deleted some columns and seems that one of the times it got uploaded but I didn’t get any message about it. I ended up with duplicates.
  • no way to import relationships (but I heard it will be available in about 2 weeks)
  • color coding doesn’t update in Board view. For ex. if I set color green on “Progress” state and I change the state by moving the card around to a different state, the color stays the same. (later edit: seems to update it but there’s a 15 seconds or so delay)
  • there’s no way to search on documents or other fields
  • unusable on larger data sets for Cards (if you’re using React probably your team knows about React virtualized). I’ve tried only on Table and Cards.
  • once I create a custom App seems that I can’t edit the description anymore

Some not so urgent UI/UX annoyances and suggestions(to not create another post)

• can’t change text color and text background color (should be easy to implement and will make the wiki look better and also it will be easier to emphasize important text)
  • it’s difficult to delete items on table view. I need to open the entity view click menu icon and delete 2 times. I expect to be able to select the row and press “Delete”
  • when I press tab on a checklist on a doc expect to indent as on list items
  • I’m using markdown heavily, if I press twice ## I expect to enter directly on h2 insertion
  • it would be useful to be able to resize the panel between right side fields and rich-text field AND when the entity view is opened on the right
  • drag and dropping a view from the sidebar to a doc should create a link to that view (eventually in the future it might even add the view inside the doc)
  • New field and relation menu becomes too long and for smaller resolutions some options might get hidden, maybe you can arrange it in 2 columns
  • maybe an easy way to add icons in the docs or names? like if we type some key to get a list of emojis? :slight_smile:
4 Likes

@Jean Thank you for detailed feedback! Here are my comments:

• CSV import gives an error if there are cells with a hyphen surrounded by blanks like " - "
  • I tried importing about 2000 items, I waited a bit, got small “DB error” box or similar that showed for a second and disappeared. I tried a few times, I deleted some columns and seems that one of the times it got uploaded but I didn’t get any message about it. I ended up with duplicates.
  • no way to import relationships (but I heard it will be available in about 2 weeks)

We are working on that, hopefully next week we will have a release that handles CSV import well.

• color coding doesn’t update in Board view. For ex. if I set color green on “Progress” state and I change the state by moving the card around to a different state, the color stays the same. (later edit: seems to update it but there’s a 15 seconds or so delay)

We have a bug for that

• there’s no way to search on documents or other fields

Full text search is in future plans

• unusable on larger data sets for Cards (if you’re using React probably your team knows about React virtualized). I’ve tried only on Table and Cards.

New release this week should handle large boards much better, please let me know if the problem persists.

• once I create a custom App seems that I can’t edit the description anymore

We have a bug for that

Some not so urgent UI/UX annoyances and suggestions(to not create another post)

• can’t change text color and text background color (should be easy to implement and will make the wiki look better and also it will be easier to emphasize important text)

This is in near future plans (weeks)

• it’s difficult to delete items on table view. I need to open the entity view click menu icon and delete 2 times. I expect to be able to select the row and press “Delete”

This is in near future plans (2-6 weeks)

• when I press tab on a checklist on a doc expect to indent as on list items

We have story for that, no immediate plans to release though.

• I’m using markdown heavily, if I press twice ## I expect to enter directly on h2 insertion

Hmm, this should work as you desribed.

• drag and dropping a view from the sidebar to a doc should create a link to that view (eventually in the future it might even add the view inside the doc)

Great idea!

• New field and relation menu becomes too long and for smaller resolutions some options might get hidden, maybe you can arrange it in 2 columns

Can you maybe add a screenshot? It is not so clear what the problem is.

• maybe an easy way to add icons in the docs or names? like if we type some key to get a list of emojis? :slight_smile:

Well, we will think about that. We have emoji field in fact, but maybe we should expand this idea.

1 Like

Deletion

Regarding deletion; I like that there is some effort required to do destructive behaviour like deletion—and I am especially fond of the ‘Are you sure?’ prompt before finalizing the action. Easy deletion has been a problem with the old system we use, and it is very very very bad in our case if things are deleted accidentally.

At the same time, I have had the need for quickly delete multiple rows in a table.

@Jean is the deletion an inconvenience due to your case being deleting multiple items? My opinion is that multi-select with bulk actions such as ‘Delete’ would be a single solution to easy-to-delete, yet have some effort required, and at the same time cover a previously requested feature.

In single-case item deletion I wouldn’t think the clicking required to delete the entity is too cumbersome.

Markdown

Regarding the Markdown, is it because you have to press space twice?

Emotes

Finally, don’t know what OS you use, but at least for Windows we have a shortcut (Win+full-stop) for bringing up an emote menu, so I can use emotes wherever except labels of Type fields—but yeah, that’s just Windows, and even so not everyone knows about it.

Thanks @mdubakov for the clarifications and for a great product, despite a few hiccups it looks awesome.

about the large data sets
for the 4k items added, the rendering and scrolling is indeed much faster, kudos to that! However, changing a card from one column to another is not usable. Also selecting different field to configure the board and everything involved in “Configure board” is really slow. Side-query: Can we see the counts from each column? Like on top when we hover the cursor over? I know I can create a formula field for that but maybe it can be a nice UI touch

about the ## / Markdown
yes @Haslien the fact that i have to press twice or 3 times sometimes is a minor inconvenience when creating a structure of a doc (I start with structure first and then type the rest). Breaks the flow a bit.

About emoji
I’m using Ubuntu and the Ctrl+. doesn’t work on Chrome. Coda has an emoji button on toolbar (I also showed the text/background color selector) which is very handy:

About deletion
I’m not looking for a super quick way to delete items but there are too many steps right now. Maybe at leas enable Delete key? + a confirmation dialog (I like the prompt)? Everyone is used to press Del to delete stuff.

Batch items processing it’s indeed super needed, i haven’t included them here because they were already requested.