Truncated state for really long description / rich text content

We’re considering how we might use the story/epic rich text description field to replace our current confluence requirements documents. These documents can get a little long, depending on how much background and images we use.

When we load this into a description field, it pushes down the page all the associated / referenced items, which makes for a long scroll.

It might be nice if once a description reached a certain height, its default load state was truncated. This would allow quicker scrolling to related objects. And then a quick click could just expand the description to the full height. Or maybe an internal scrollbar?

I too have experienced this with some documents for planned projects.

In our case:
We have some ideas for projects, and we have a lot of content in the rich text field.
Below that field we have a one to many relationship with tasks that must be done in order to complete the project.

We could move tasks up to above description field, but we also have a comment field below tasks where we have lengthy discussions, so the problem remains the same either way when wanting to reach comments.

That said, I would not like having a <textarea> I would have to scroll in, even if I could re-size it vertically. I’d rather deal with it showing all content and scrolling the entire page in that case. It feels limiting to work within those.

For us, we attach documents directly to an entity. It’s one more click, I know, but if you need a really long text, it shouldn’t bother anyone to have to click to open a document. General description in the RTF with a link to the larger doc works well.

Soon, we’re gonna have blocs paradigm like in Notion integrated in Fibery and it will open a lot of new ways to organize work and information. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s great to hear. In our current workflow, we use confluence for these longer documents and then link them/associate them to the Jira issues as needed. While we could replicate this in fibery using documents, I liked the simplicity of having documentation right with the object where work is being done. Also, the lack of ability to “watch” documents and be notified of changes is a bit of a blocker for us in migrating from confluence to fibery documents. I know that’s also another requested feature.