Tell us what templates you want šŸ˜

Hey, you just took a ton of time to respond to my posts, thatā€™s valiant, appreciated! I will try to respond to some of your other points soon, but in response to this:

What I mean is you can have values on those various fields in the Type pre-filled with one of the variables - assignee, status, etc. etc. and some Rich Text values if need be. It is just much more intuitive in a range of other apps such as Wrike, Clickup, Hive which we are talking about elsewhere, Notion, etc. etc.

Here is a great example of one of the more basic ways this is done via Asana:

It is just easier for the ā€œrank and fileā€ user of Fibery that I intend to have in my team when it expands, vs. trying to do it with actions and other more technical ways. It is just very easy to fill in an Entity the way you want, hit a button of ā€œcreate template,ā€ then have it ready in a menu to create with a ā€œ+ā€ when you need it.

Hope that answers your questions! I hope to see this one day in Fibery, although I realize it might not be a priority now. But most all other work management tools have this in the way Iā€™m describing, so would expect it at some pointā€¦

Cheers!

3 Likes

Yep, that helps. And itā€™s about what I assumed you meant, but I wanted to sure, rather than just assume. :wink:

It looks like people are using the :white_heart: to indicate their interest, so I am going to skip the idea of a poll, and just rely on counting the love :slight_smile:

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Grouping of Apps and Entities

You could have a checkbox field that indicates that an entity is a template, and use a view filtered to show only template entities.
You can then use the Duplicate option for any of these templates, and have an automation rule that clears the checkbox when an entity is created.

3 Likes

Sorry it took so long, but thanks @Oshyan

2 Likes

Fantastic, thank you! Sorry I dropped the ball on experimenting with it further myself, but Iā€™m glad you decided to take it up yourself and itā€™s much appreciated. :pray:

1 Like

This resonates with me. I remember when I first used Fibery how I was trying to replicate databases. Today I screenshot workflow stages and field from a database in one space to create a similar database; but it is a painful workaround

1 Like

If you wanted to replicate a database, what you could do is to share a space as a template, rename that space, and then import the shared template. This will get you a clone of the space (which you can name to whatever you like, allowing you to revert the name of the original).
Obviously, this would replicate all databases in that space, which might be more than you need, but you can delete those you donā€™t.
And any databases (inlcuding the newly-created ones) can always be moved between spaces if need be.

1 Like

A hard one :slight_smile: What about something like QuickBooks? :slight_smile:

No guarantees, but Iā€™m currently working on a template to plan budgets and track income/expenses.
It wonā€™t be a fully-featured accounting system, but could be useful for startups looking to estimate how much investment they need or how much runway they have.
Keep your eyes peeled

3 Likes

Fyi, we released the Finance template that might help some people visiting this thread.

2 Likes

Are there any plans to allow templates to be saved for things like Views?

I spend at least an hour a day (not exaggerating) recreating views from one place to another place because either someone else in the company changed the view and forgot to duplicate it first or I want a new view that is similar to another view only but with one more or one less level/layer/row, but doing that wipes out all the formatting to visible fields, field ordering, colours, filters, etc.

I end up taking screenshots when they look good so I can at least have something to reference when they inevitably get broken or I need to remake them at some point.

ClickUp does these really well (along with the ability to lock views, have private/personal views, etc)

How would having templates help with the problem of other users modifying shared views?

Would take a couple seconds to ā€œresetā€ the view back to the template default instead of having to manually fix/recreate it.

Maybe someday we will have an admin-accessible History option in Views, like we have ā€œentity Historyā€?
To more easily roll back/undo in such casesā€¦

That would be nice too! Templates do have a lot of other value when creating new entities though, itā€™s not always about cleaning up messes. :slight_smile:

Itā€™s also quite cumbersome to replicate the same filters between boards. For example, for project management, I need to add filters to hide the old tasks in Done or Discarded, or the board gets unusable after some time.

I need to add the two filters manually in each board and every time I create a new view for another project or team.

And yes, I know and use smart folders, but itā€™s not the solution to everything.

1 Like

In what ways could smart folders be improved?

They are intended to solve exactly this problem:

I love Smart Folders, and itā€™s the solution for some use cases, but it would be great to have filter templates that you can apply to any view like you do in Jira or Clickup. An alternative would be what Airtable does; you have the option to copy filters from another view.

2 Likes