Task "belonging" to folder

Hi all,

I’m pretty new to Fibery and I’m still in my learning curve.
I’ve used ClickUP time ago but found it too poor at customization and the lack of subfolders is an incredible limit for the use cases.
In ClickUP when you create e list and put (let’s say) tasks in it, all taks belongs to that list so that they are not visible when I change to another list in the same space.

I’m trying to emulate the same in Fibery and adopted the following solution:
Created a Task database with a field that I’ve called “Path”. Every path follow a syntax like ///. Then I created several folders (like UI, Core, UX etc) and to see only tasks related to that folder I created boards and lists and I applied a filter on the Path field.
There is also a board view where all tasks with no path defined are shown.
The Path field is a multiselect so a Task can belong to several folders.
The autocomplete feature of Fibery makes it even convenient to use :slight_smile:

Do you use other methods to achieve this? Do you feel the need for this “feature”?

Hope to read your ideas. Thank you.

Before providing suggestions about what might be a good way to do this, I think it’s worth digging to figure out what the real need is here.
Why do you want to separate Tasks into different lists? Is it because they belong to different projects? Or relate to different products/subsystems…? Or are they ‘owned’ by different teams?
What are UI, Core, UX examples of?
Once you know why you want to see Tasks in multiple lists, then the answer is probably a bit more apparent.

But having said that, it sounds like you will need to create a database to represent the grouping, and probably want to establish a self-relation, so that you can achieve a tree hierarchy (i.e. ‘subfolders’)
Then a Task can be linked to any group or subgroup (and more than one when that’s appropriate).

For visualisation, you are probably going to want to use either smart folders or hierarchical lists, with self-relation at the top level turned on.

Thank you @Chr1sG for your always complete reply and for your references. I try to illustrate the use case.

• There are several projects.
  • For each project there are several Tasks.
  • Each task is related to one or more project.
  • In each project there are several task areas (This is where UX, UI, Core enter into play)
  • Each project area has it’s own planning, scheduling and priorities
  • Each area is represented by a folder in which there are lists, board and whatever
  • In each area only tasks belonging to that area should be shown
  • A task can belong to more than one single project area
  • Project areas can be structured in more than one level (subfolders)
  • Areas are not the same for all projects

The need is to let a project manger to focus on every single area, looking at what tasks have priorities for that concern.

I tied Smart Folder but I prefer to structure with subfolder to get more flexibility on how to organize project areas and sub areas.

Thanks for the elucidation.
Couple of questions:
If

and

could a Task belong to an Area that wasn’t one of the areas that were associated with the Project(s) the Task was part of?

Also, when you say that

does a project manager want to see all Tasks in a given area (or sub-area) irrespective of which Project(s) they belong to?

Did you understand the possibility of displaying database self-relations within smart folders to achieve a traditional folder-like structure?

Hi @Chr1sG and thankyou for your interest.

Yes it can. For example a task belonging to the “UI” area of a project can also belong to the Budget area of another project.

Yes. They want to see all tasks belonging to a project area, tasks belonging to a subset of projects/project areas and tasks regardless the project(s) they belongs.

Yes and I just realized taht I can also “mix” things creating subfolders with own views in smart folder items and it’s simply AWESOME!

But that would imply that this Task was part of both these projects, right?

So, could a Task belong to an Area that wasn’t one of the areas that were associated with the Project(s) the Task was part of?

e.g. Project A has areas UX and Budget, and Task 1 is linked to Project A (and no other Projects) but is also linked to Core area. Would this ever happen?

Ok, now I see what you mean. The answer is: yes, a task can belong to an area even if it doesn’t belong to the project owning that area.

From what we have so far, I thought you would probably need the following:

Project 1:n Areas
Area 1:n Areas (i.e. self-relation)
Areas n:n Tasks

and then use a lookup to get the Project that any given Task belonged to.

But then you wrote:

What is the meaning of a Task belonging to an area, but not belonging to the Project that owns that area? Seems to be a little contradictory, no?