Multiple substring matching in entity chooser popups

When searching for an entity using a relation field popup, the existing search works well if you only need to match a single substring anywhere in the entity name:

HOWEVER, if you want to search for two or more substrings, you are out of luck as soon as you hit space – now you get no matches:

If I have 150 entities that match “Calendar”, and I want to find the ones named “Calendar something Zoho …”, I have to know the entire entity Name and type it exactly starting from the beginning. There is no way to show all the names that match two or more substrings.

Searching for entities by name is important - it should be more flexible, and allow matching multiple substrings anywhere in the entity Name.

At the moment it does not do a good job helping us discover entity names except in the simplest cases.

Removed a vote from another feature to vote here! :grin:

2 Likes

YES! Great FRQ! Maybe, if performance is an issue it could only match beginnings of words rather than anything inside a word?

PS: While I should do what @Oshyan did, so believe we should get more votes over time. :wink:

2 Likes

It’s not a real fix, but you could temporarily apply a relation filter with the search criteria you need:

1 Like

An example from Salesforce world.
Salesforce has search layouts and allows to put additional fields in lookups.

I would be happy to see a similar option in Fibery

How would you imagine that Fibery determines which (extra) fields should be shown? Should the user configure this for every database somehow?

Search layouts are configurable through setup per each object and profile.
For current Fibery design, it seems global search layout could be sufficient.

Given that each Fibery database has different fields, I’m not sure what you mean by a ‘global search layout’.
In your salesforce example, it seems like the search results include the country, when searching for the account. If your Fibery workspace contains an Account db, with the field Country, then someone (the database creator?) has to decide that this field is one that should show up in search. If you have another database, say Tasks, it will not have this field, so someone has to decide which fields from the Task db should show up when searching for a task.

I don’t see how there can be anything that you could call a ‘global layout’ except one which only included fields that are guaranteed to exist in all dbs (Name, Created by, Creation Date, Modification date).