Large-Scale use of “floating box” pop up when activity in Fibery aka "Toasts"

Hi again,

I wanted to suggest that as you guys move forward, you do as much of an implementation as you can across Fibery of the “floating box” pop up that would occur everytime an action is taking in Fibery. I’m referring to something like the small modal that emerges in the current version of Gmail when you delete messages, send, etc. on the bottom right. A few apps, such as ClickUp and Jira, do this with just about every instance of an entity/task creation. It’s a great feature as it allows the user to get to the created entity easily, without having to go search for it, or, if you offer a permalink in this modal, the user can grab that with the mouse and paste the reference to the entity anywhere quickly.

This pop-up is also useful when things are deleted, closed, transitioning, and in other instances.

So I hope you guys can add good coverage around Fibery of this feature. It is really hard to get around a lot of other apps out there that don’t use this feature.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi again,

Just wanted to flag this request up one more time as I am finding it something that would be very useful since there is still some “rawness” to how you create an entity in Fibery, adjust its status, edit, etc. that could be seen in the Activity Stream when released, discussed here:

I think these notification modals I’m referring to are actually called “Toasts,” so I wanted to also edit this post to reflect that.

Thanks guys for the consideration!

1 Like

I agree. While this seems like a small thing, it’s a tremendous usability improvement, especially for less savvy users. It makes the system feel much more clear, controlled, and responsive, less opaque.

1 Like

Great Oshyan, thanks for the support! Would love to see what the team things about this at some point, perhaps when we get voting here in Discourse?

If you’ve ever played around with Jira, ClickUp, Clubhouse, even Asana, you can really see how nice these can be!

1 Like

Hello!

With some discussion of this feature yesterday here:

I wanted to bring this to the attention of some fellow colleagues who I’m hoping might also advocate this? @Chr1sG, @rothnic, @colman - and of course anybody else who sees this today! - would love to get your take, and whether this feature in Fibery would help you. @Oshyan has been giving great support - thank you again!

I wanted to add one further point right now: The nocode “stalwarts” of Coda, Notion, AirTable are all more or less missing this feature, except in a few cases I think where one will appear in Coda. But the nature of building schemas in tools like this, Fibery included, is such that it’s easy to create accidentally Entities, or very importantly, inadvertently delete something.

I’d add that one of the best implementations of Toasts that I use all the time, every day, and one that I’d love to see Fibery model this around, is Gmail. You can set how long a Toast lingers. I have experimented in Gmail with up to 10 seconds, so I give myself extra time for those “oops” mails that I realized I sent to the wrong person, or worded wrongly, right after I hit the “send” button! Or undeleting a message I don’t really want to send to trash.

Thanks!

1 Like

To be honest, it’s not something I have thought about much.
I can’t recall any of the tools I currently use that make use of toasts, so it’s possible I just don’t know what I’m missing :slight_smile: or maybe I’ve just not noticed them/made use of them.

Gmail is indeed a great example. ClickUp is another one. It’s true that many tools also don’t use this form of notification/UI element, so it is not necessarily something UI/UX designers universally think is a great idea. But I certainly love them and I think they’re a great, unobtrusive, but very useful way to add short-term actionable, contextual functions and info. They do two things well: they let the user know that they just did something and what they just did (there are situations where a user will know one, or the other, or neither), and they let the user undo or otherwise modify that action. As I said above, they make any system feel less opaque and more controllable.

1 Like

This is great stuff in particular right there, thanks very much for articulating this and further making the case for Toasts!

Would love to hear from @mdubakov or @Polina_Zenevich, given that we have an initial implementation with the Duplication of Entity, how the team thinks about the potential for more integrated use of these Toast notifications around Fibery?

Thanks again!

1 Like

Ahh interesting yeah! Like @Chr1sG I admit this wasn’t top of mind, but honestly all sounds pretty good. Since not much is fully dependent on them (I think), they could also be optional for anyone who doesn’t like them.

Like @Oshyan says - they could make Fibery feel more “alive” in a good sense.

What this reminded me of: What’s the Point of Pointing in Japan, Anyway? | Atlas Obscura - YouTube

2 Likes

This topic seems to be pretty much deep on the back burner, but would like to continue to bring attention to it as it’s a really useful feature of productivity apps that use it, and seems like it would fit well with Fibery. A lot of apps such as Asana and Wrike have partial implementations, where Clickup, Clubhouse/Shortcut, Jira all have very good ones where you see a toast after about everything you do Ala Gmail. Newer apps coming on the scene like Height.app and potentially superlist are using as well, just showing how well-regarded this feature is given so many productivity app builders incorporate it into their products.

Thanks!

1 Like

Just mentioning this again in case somebody might find it useful! Curious if anybody on the Fibery team thinks this would be good to have, or there’s a reason that it’s not something Fibery would ever consider.

Thanks!

1 Like

I would certainly be curious for a more direct response from the team…

1 Like

I suppose I can chip in here to say that there is currently no significant work going on internally related to the use of pop-up notifications, sorry.

1 Like

Ok appreciate the info Chris!

1 Like