Lack of Work Management features in Fibery (Reminders, Dependencies, Notifications, My Work, etc.)

It will not. Feel free to come back here and say “I told you so” in 6 months if you see a massive spike in adoption, I will be more than happy to eat my over-confident prediction!

True, and yet false. Here’s why:
What do Miro and ClickUp and Fibery and Figma and Google Docs and so many other tools have in common? Notifications! You gotta get 'em right, or at least not aggressively wrong (Fibery is sadly a bit closer to that than “right” IMO).

The same is true more narrowly - but still quite broadly and importantly - in the realm of “reminders and tasks”. And there are probably a few other things I’d call sort of “core competencies” or “basic features” that you arguably have to get right to be a major player, i.e. to get quick and large-scale adoption. Or, if you don’t get those core competencies right, you have to excel so much in some other area, an area that either has little competition or that you have such a huge advantage in, and that has mass adoption potential (hint: advanced “no code” like Fibery doesn’t, by itself; an app-building version of DALL-E 2 would), that you gain users that way. These are of course broad maxims with plenty of exceptions, but I do think they are broadly true. “Table stakes” is a term for a reason (though there is plenty of disagreement on what constitutes those stakes in any given product area).

No, it still is (or at least was until recently). See ClickUp vs. Fibery article you linked to previously. :wink: (although they have put out a new search-focused release since I did that comparison; but search in ClickUp was awful for a long time before that, at the least). Fibery’s search is quite basic, it just works quickly and does what it does do very effectively. But still quite basic. The amusing part is that ClickUp’s search seemed so much more powerful, but fell down on the basics, which made it (in my tests) essentially unusable. So while it is perhaps a bit of a hollow victory in some sense, Fibery still won there, and to me the fact that the ClickUp actual product experience was like that for so long means that Fibery’s win was meaningful despite being based on “just working in a very basic way”. That will win over “fancy but broken” any day. :wink:

Having said all that, I want to reiterate: I love Fibery, I love the team, and I love the product, and I especially love the vision. I have spent the last 15 or so years doing pretty deep personal PKM and task/project management across a variety of tools. When I pick a tool for some particular function, I spend quite a while considering and testing it. I picked Fibery for my real estate business a couple of years ago and have no regrets vs. other options at the time like Notion or ClickUp or Coda. And now I am literally on the verge of beginning a huge project to unify my own personal PKM + task/project management within Fibery, coming from multiple other tools, i.e. I am going “all in” on Fibery. For me this is a big vote of confidence, and you know I’ve looked at most of the other relevant possible tools for this (including being an Obsidian user for the last 1+ years and being very familiar with its entire, incredible plugin ecosystem). Fibery’s interrelations and other benefits won out over the security of “local first” and flexibility of a well-supported plugin ecosystem. So yeah, I dig Fibery, and everything I am saying here is because I love it and I see it getting so much less love from the broader potential market than I think it deserves.

6 Likes