July 20, 2023 / Experimental 🥹 new Grid View and 🏛️ Columns Layout in Docs

Thank you for releasing this early view of the table/grid view. It looks very promising. Here are a few comments so far:

Grouping by other fields

I couldn’t agree more. I think being able to group rows using other field types is really important. Current structure which requires relations, limit usability. It is missing in other areas of fibery as well (e.g. smart folders and lists). Board view and timelines support additional grouping options for the bins/lanes. I hope the same could be extended to grid/table view. I am hoping that in the future it would be even possible to define custom groupings per view based on things like numerical values or dates.

Collapse/expand button

Currently, the collapse/expand buttons are combined with the database icon which appears next to the name field. However, if you don’t display the name field, you no long are able to control expanding/collapsing of the list. I think that expansion/collapse should be independent of the name field and appear as needed in a reserved space to the left. This also addresses use case where the name field may not be the first field (as per @PsyRoelofs above):

I think this is also may resolve the related request to make database icons optional.

Aggregate functions

I assume aggregate functions for columns are coming in future iterations of grids/tables but I wanted to mention it again. I also hope that aggregate functions would be possible on grouped items (e.g. subtotals) as well as the entire table.

Column header controls

I know fibery has adopted a particular style for creating view settings (like sorting, filtering, formatting, …). However, I think that it would be a massive improvement if these settings were either moved to column headings or were at least available there (per this request). This is a very common pattern with most applications that deal with tabular data and I think more intuitive for average users. It also allows field/column type specific settings (e.g. specific sorting & filtering for dates vs. numeric fields …) to be available. I know in the current version there are some options available on left-clicking. I am just mentioning this to see what is the ultimate plan.

It would also be great if users had a bit more control on how columns are formatted, like changing the horizontal alignment (left, centre, right) or even option to change font weight, all controlled from the header.

Table quick search/filter

As has been discussed extensively here, having the ability to quickly search/filter a view (similar to the manner excel tables allow) would be a huge improvement to tables and something I hope is going to be integrated.

Combined gantt timeline

+1 for this. It would be quite helpful to see this. However, it might be more optimal to allow addition of more columns to the timeline view.

3 Likes