Formulas in Views Filters

Currently, if we need to filter by parent field we need to create a formula in child type and then filter by this field. It would be great to filter by parent fields without additional formulas.

PS: Correct me if it’s already available to use.

Can you provide a case, I don’t get the idea from the description unfortunately

Ex: we have two types: “Test Cycle” (parent) and “Test Cycle Run” + a view for runs. In this view, we wanted to display only “Test Cycle Runs” where the parent “Test Cycle” has a checkbox Archived as false (to hide archived records). To achieve this, we created a formula field “Test Cycle Archived” in the “Test Cycle Run” type. And then applied a filter in the view. Basically, we created a new field to use the filter feature. We think that is a redundant step.

We have this in the backlog, we call it Formulas in Filters. No ETA so far unfortunately

5 Likes

Thanks, that is not critical due to additional formula fields.

@mdubakov I was wondering if any consideration has been given to working on this feature in conjunction with the view blocks? I know they are different things, but I think to make embedding of views really powerful and useful, the content needs to be dynamically controlled based on so inputs or variables on the page. It seems there is a logical connection between that and Formulas in Filters feature.

Unfortunately no progress here. I don’t think we get to it in the next 2-3 months

Use case for a compound filter (or formula) for a Colorizing rule:

Task.[Due date] < Today() and [Task State].Final = false

4 Likes

My current use case would need a filter that can take in a formula instead of a fixed value.
This way I could have boards in the left side menu that filter different items depending on a state centrally maintained elsewhere.

Semantics:
If company.alert = green → show all items in the to do board
If company.alert = red → show only items in the to do board with todo.importance attribute == “Survival”

1 Like

It would be good to have an advanced filter mode (equation filter?):

Eg. Smart folders which contain projects by department: it would be good to filter for projects that are currently active.

Eg. List that contains projects by person: it would be good to filter for people with 1 or more active project

1 Like

We would definitely benefit from this to avoid Lookup clutter.

Feel free to close this entry, in case it’s a duplicate.

1 Like

Hey @mdubakov, assuming this is still in the backlog, is there any more of an updated ETA you could provide? It’s been a couple years since the last update on this.

1 Like

Unfortunately no updates yet. It will not be done in the next 4 months, then I can’t say…

Thanks for the update. It would be a very powerful feature that would remove the need for many “workarounds” for common situations, so please continue to consider it!

2 Likes