Fibery as habit tracker?

hi there,

trying to build a habit tracker in fibery. Anybody who already tried it being able to share some approaches?

Thanks!

Marc

3 Likes

Are the habits things that you want to repeat on the same timescale (e.g. once a day)?
Are you more interested in ā€˜keeping countā€™ record-keeping, or in being provided with reminders?
I think there are already apps for habit tracking, so is there a reason why you want to use Fibery for this?

1 Like

Hi Chris,
These are good questions. All I like to do is to keep track of my key habits within fibery. Unlike many I am trying to explore fibery as a personal productivity all in one tool. Therefore I would prefer to keep habits in fibery too. I would only need to do it for record keeping no reminders required. I could keep track of the habits in a google sheets and have fibery to report from it. However, wanted to understand if anyone achieved habit tracking within fibery or not.
Does this make sense?
Marc

2 Likes

Interesting! I have actually considered trying to make Fibery my personal knowledge management and productivity tool as well! I think it is a bit early to try to do it successfully, at least for me, but Iā€™m glad to know Iā€™m not the only one thinking about it.

The issue I saw when trying to create a habit tracker was that it becomes a bit complicated in Fibery I think. Totally doable, but possibly more annoying to setup and maintain than desired. How are you doing it so far?

I saw two possible ways. Either create a generic ā€œHabitā€ Type and try to get appropriate info in with single-select to differentiate habit type (and create 1 new Entity of each habit per week perhaps). Or create a different Type for every habit, and then you can select dates easier, and filter easier, maybe display on a timeline, but it requires more complex setup (separate type for every habit).

But tracking instances of simple things (e.g. ā€œdone/not doneā€) over the long-term just takes more effort in Fibery it seems to me. What are your current solutions?

1 Like

Hi Oshyan,
Thanks for your response. It is encouraging that I am no the only one ā€œnon-teamā€ person that is trying to see if fibery can do the trick. I am a big fan of the idea to keep most of what you do to mange life in one tool => so I was naturally drawn to Notion and tried to make August Bradleyā€™s notion set up work for me. After spending many hours with his set up I think it can workā€¦ it is just super complex to a degree when it becomes almost a black box (at least for me) of trying to make all the different connections between the many moving parts work. I tried other things like airtable, coda and even checkout out that Infinity tool (which turned out to be nothing more than isolated trello boards married with airtable functionality but no way of connecting elements across multiple boards). My set is so far that I want to use for both my business (I work at a company that buys software companies so there is a M&A aspect, I have to oversee portfolio companies), my private life, and an upcoming content part (business-related). So it has - in line with Augustā€™s Pillar-Pipelineā€“Vault frame) a planning component (Pillars), an execution component (Pipelines), a knowledge management part (Vaults). In the pipeline part I would like to have some habit tracking with the habits connected to multiple elements in the Pillars (e.g. habits that improve my health or that ensuring I am growing as an individual).

See a sketch of my current thinking. I agree that fibery lacks a number of things that other personal productivity software have such as a desktop or mobile app and I find the storage limitations quiteā€¦ well limiting assuming I will also store some documents in it. However, I do like the possibility to strongly connect the apps between each other, I like the links between text through tags (something I would only get from note taking tools like Obsidian). Think I like to see if fibery can address all my requirements in the best possible way. I am saying this because I think for the foreseeable future, the fibery will focus development in making the across-the-chasm jump for product teams. While this clearly means that stuff like desktop or mobile apps will not happen anytime soon, I would be ok to sacrifice things like that if I could make my general set up work AND the product team focus helps the company to match burn rate with MRR. No use if we all invest time and effort if the company doesnā€™t survive the next couple of yearsā€¦ however, I am positive that they will surviveā€¦ pretty much like their view on things!

So coming back to the initial habit tracker discussion. I didnā€™t try out anything yet but will experiment with your ideas over Eastern to see how it fits into my set up.

Regards,
Marc

1 Like

If you only need to log events (occasions when you have carried out something habitual) then you might want to have a type for the habits, and a type for the events (with a date/time executed field). You can make a relation between them (one habit to many events) and then create an Action button (for the habit type) that creates a new linked event whenever it is pressed.
The button can set the value of the ā€˜date/time executedā€™ field on creation of the event to be the current time, but you can always manually change the value, e.g. if youā€™re logging something that happened a while ago.

You can of course use the reporting features in fibery to review historical habit event data.

2 Likes

Interesting! I have actually considered trying to make Fibery my personal knowledge management and productivity tool as well! I think it is a bit early to try to do it successfully, at least for me, but Iā€™m glad to know Iā€™m not the only one thinking about it.

The LMS , learning management system , is the app what @Chr1sG way thinking , but there is another alternative fast learning is via simple system called PLE , Personal Learning Environnement , the most fast learning in any subject is being promoted by canadian educatores and teachers is this PLE , this @Marc_Maurer pont here as pƩrsonal klnowlege mangement , personal wiki . In this context fibery biz model too fit very well the creative free startup study personel , simple app as inclusive digital for any where every one as his PLE simple to learn to use it for students, professionals . This PLE , wiki helped one , surelely ghe can go for his start up , scale-up . This is exactly our user model study cases .In south india , just ina single state callec tamil nadu , the polticiion made posible more engineering half IT, other IT graduate students. Now the gov , parents , banks who invested a huge money do not know what to do wth 70 0000 IT In a single state TN , south INdia
Eng without borders jobs , with health crysis too . instead expect gov , bank alone the best way can be via fibery creator conected hubs , as most of them unlike western-educated come from rural farmer family, they know already farm food , their PLE combined fibery wiki can help solve , fibery goal is massive scale-up for more user , with project management wiki-based learning competitive to professional online training self help cheaper ple too

Thus just 20 us dolar paid to fibery can make possible 5 times returns from users just his 10 PLE users , PLE , not school real or virtual , but intelligent wiki combined project task PLE , that to more feedback-based learning is the real need for many professionals educations and job work .

See more about PLE project-based learning Interesting! I have actually considered trying to make Fibery my personal knowledge management and productivity tool as well! I think it is a bit early to try to do it successfully, at least for me, but Iā€™m glad to know Iā€™m not the only one thinking about it.

See more Canadian and European combined research project here [http://www.imaile.eu/about/ple-personal-learning-environm](https://view more LMS and PLE)
Thanks to the brain of the creative fibery social vision too to support our non gov , non profit as cofounder to creat more PLE for inclusive besst app too

Chris, thanks. I think this is a great suggestion, will experiment with this. Like the iidea of the button really.
Regards,
Marc

Youā€™re welcome. If you end up needing help with action buttons, let me know :slight_smile: I might be able to draft some simple code for you.
Having said that, it might turn out that a the fibery team deliver a native no-code solution before too long :slight_smile:

Hey Chris,
Your response is godsent! Actually, I tried to teach myself how to apply some code in the button but failed miserably. Below is the standard code and how the event typ looks like. Any help with the code definitely appreciated (and needed!).

// Developer reference is at Fibery API

// Fibery API is used to retrieve and update entities
const fibery = context.getService(ā€˜fiberyā€™);

// affected entities are stored in args.currentEntities;
// to support batch actions they always come in an array
for (const entity of args.currentEntities) {
// an entity contains all fields apart from collections;
// to access a field refer to it by its UI name
const creationDate = entity[ā€˜Creation Dateā€™];

// to get collection fields query the API and provide the list of fields
const entityWithExtraFields = await fibery.getEntityById(entity.type, entity.id, ['Assignees', 'Files']);

// to update an entity provide an object with the new values
await fibery.updateEntity(entity.type, entity.id, {
    // 'Field Name': newValue
});

}

// HTTP allows to send requests to external services
const http = context.getService(ā€˜httpā€™);

/*
await http.postAsync(ā€˜Slack API | Slackā€™, {
body: {
text: ā€˜Successful success!ā€™
},
headers: { ā€˜Content-typeā€™: ā€˜application/jsonā€™ }
});
*/

1 Like

Hi Marc,
Based on your setup (as best I can understand it) you could try the following in an action button for the Habit type:

const fibery = context.getService('fibery')

const newEvent = await fibery.createEntity("Pipelines/Event", { "Date and time": new Date()})

for (const entity of args.currentEntities) {
    await fibery.addCollectionItem(entity.type, entity.id, "Events", newEvent.Id)
}

However, I would perhaps first recommend that you make the relation between Habit and Event a one-to-many relation (since I assume that an event can only be associated with one habit, right?).

The above code requires that you have a date+time field for the Event type (called ā€˜Date and timeā€™) and it sets this field for the new Event to the current time when the button is pressed.

Also, thereā€™s a nice trick to use a formula for the name of the Event entity, so that they are automatically called something meaningful. You could, for example, use the following:

Habit.Name + " : " + ToText([Date and time])

and in that way, each Event will be named according to itā€™s parent Habit and the value of the ā€˜Date and timeā€™ field (in UTC unfortunately).

As I mentioned earlier, you can of course manually update the date+time field after creation.

Hope that helps somewhat.

1 Like

ā€¦and you can get easy reporting, showing in my case that I need to pay more attention to my teeth than I do to my car :slight_smile:

Amazing APP habit tracker creative PLE , use fiber app to have over view of all aspects , meditation via yoga, pranayama breathing excercise , be followed by good online oxymeters, 02 measurements, in the case , example water intake and eating may need other detailed app insides too , unbundle it . Thanks for innovative ideas shared , this app as PLE is the need every one to win the war against virus , stop the war related dollar , arm based war between developed , non developed cpuntry
Based daily requirement of international standard recommendations we did some unification to the diverse unit needed such as calory, proteins , cholesterol of the foot one eat . Based on a person with normal weight, height the stand recomened become standar, normal . put weighted averages to the one who wishes to find the required food he wish to eat , estimate the quantity for best food habit, this can be related to exercise too as per your table too . there is a need to use formulas to estimates the nutrients vale baed to estimate the amout can be the key results
Before achieve this results , it may possible to use fibery chart based on spreadsheet input about the food one take , compare it to the maximum recommended as standard , make this as 32 unis nutrient max recommended intake . this 32 normalized nutrient unit can help to give comparative relation to normal , so that bad habid deficiency can be below 20 normalized, the bad one 50 very bad 80 , the alery food more than 80 . Example 02 eggs per day recomened standard 32 , if one take on if it is 4 eggs 64 is excess , 06 alery toxicthgis based on cholesterol problems. Similar to sugar diabetics , protein intestinas gasiinfections , meat fat LDL , HDL can be made , the bad habit shown well by chart. After estimate via formulas the correct heath food diets one desire amount he can take too ,

This food habit tracker fibery , if well done need to applied to save our fibery from corono virus against , fibery CEO , provide him balanced bioactive boosting of his brain and alsio immunize with anti oxidants natural de fruits , seeds niuts topical against new varient corona virus , help fibery team not to have the lockdone too , ,

Thus, but also all of us need also the food security, health security , finally the wealth security to all fibery user community too via better health wth this quality life app , PLE learner tool as wiki doc combined creative app by @Marc_Maurer, as well as a fibery creative team too as catalyst
to speed up to this new PLE markets, learner project-based PLE app tool for better quality life for every one , any where , any place .Connected fibery hub can be more powerful too via shared app made easy i took 6 months to understand, the power of this fibery app add as easy plugin every one , now can connect app user to user , help , share, thus united crowd make the rapid progress our PLE, OUR WIKI doc, our LMS easy to earn before making startup to lean with lees risk via visual fibery app

Hi Chris,
Awesomeā€¦ I could make the connection work to enter an event but the thing with the name didnt work yet. So the even gets added without the name.

I probably didnt embedd your code at the right place:

Any suggestion what I need to change? (sorry about all the questionsā€¦ I am clearly no coder ;o)

Sorry, I suppose I could have been clearer.
Have a look at this, which I hope will explain where the name formula code needs to go.

For the action button, you only need the first block of code I wrote (and you can delete all the example code that is present when an action button is created).

1 Like

Chris, thanks I watched this multiple timesā€¦ honestly still have issues where to fit your code snipped in. Can you give me another hint please?
Cheers,
Marc

Go to the Event type definition and click the triple dots next to Name field. Choose ā€˜Generate name using formulaā€™ and then paste the single line of code

Habit.Name + " : " + ToText([Date and time])

in the formula box.

1 Like

Awesome Chris, now it worked!!!
Thank you so much!
Marc

1 Like

Youā€™re welcome :+1:

1 Like