EoS Traction Tools App

This isn’t yet sharing an app, but sharing an opportunity.

Background:

• EOS = Entrepreneurial Operating System (website)
  • It is a business (consulting, software) built around the process defined in this book with the goal of getting “Traction” for your business
  • It is a mostly portfolio-level process for project management
  • Our exec team uses traction.tools (mytractiontools.com), which you can see in all its glory in this video

Disclaimers:

• As a product management professional, I’m not endorsing this process
  • My personal experience is that it overlaps with product development and has no clear connection to agile processes
  • The tools seem to be mostly used by exec teams, but are intended to be used by the whole organization. However, since they are purpose built tools, they lack a lot of functionality people would expect. This means that we have some strategy-level data in one system (traction tools), and the rest in other systems (roadmapping tools, jira, etc)

Opportunity

• Look at the process that is being supported and see if there are any missing capabilities that would enable building an app to support this process
  • Build a shareable template so that people searching for Traction Tools, etc would find Fibery

Research

• At first you might think that we should just setup an integration with Traction Tools
  • I’ve found that Integromat has a Traction Tools integration, but is missing some key elements (Visual Traction Organizer (V/TO))
  • I’ve also found that the data returned from the integration is as rich as it is in Traction Tools, which is not very
  • This, along with the simplicity of the available purpose-built tools, is why I think it might be better suited to build an app that would just replace traction tools
  • Rocks are essentially goals/projects with a due date, which is similar to Objectives in fibery’s Strategy app
  • Measurables are similar to Key Results in the fibery app, but don’t have a current value. Instead, they serve as an ongoing definition for the metric, which is updated each week in the “Level 10 (L10)” meeting

Types (via Traction Tools Integromat integration unless specified)

• Rock
    • Id
    • Name
    • Owner (object)
      • Id
      • Name
      • ImageUrl
    • DueDate (datetime)
    • Complete (bool)
    • Completion (single select [OnTrack/OffTrack])
    • CreateTime (datetime)
    • Archived (bool)
    • Permission (?)
    • Origins (?)
    • HasAudio (bool)
  • Measurable
    • Id
    • Name
    • Owner (object)
    • Admin (object)
    • Target (integer)
    • AltTarget (integer?)
    • Direction (single select [GreaterThan, …])
    • IsDivider (bool)
    • IsReorderable (bool)
    • Cumulative (bool)
    • CumulativeRange (datetime)
    • Modifiers (string for units, ex. Dollar)
    • Ordering (?)
    • Disabled (?)
    • Generated (?)
    • IsFormula (bool)
    • Average (?)
    • ShowAverage (bool)
    • AverageRange (datetime)
    • Permission (?)
    • Origins (array ?)
  • Headlines (used in meetings as a notable announcement)
    • tbd
  • Issues (used to represent a problem to solve in a meeting)
    • tbd
  • To-Dos (used for other individual tasks associated with meetings or people)
    • tbd
  • Visual Traction Organizer (not exposed via Traction Tools)
    • tbd

Challenges

Matching the Display

One of the key components in EOS is the “Visual Traction Organizer”, which is a visual representation of something like a Product Vision.

There is no way in Fibery to build custom layouts of Types. For comparison, I was able to build a custom view in Coda where I started to build out an EOS document from the examples in the EOS book referenced previously. See below:

Example in EOS Book:

The Data:

The custom layout:

4 Likes