Drag Entity to Sidebar to Associate

Hey there – one thing I do all the time is quickly create entities (Tasks) without much detail in them, then sort them / enrich them later. A big part of this associating these tasks with other entity types (in this case, Categories).

Right now this is a slow process. I can do it by clicking into the entity detail view, or I’ve created a filtered view with my Categories as the rows, then drag my tasks down to the right row… but having to scroll vertically back and forth makes this fairly painful too.

What would be wonderful would be to be able to drag an entity (task) from a view and drop it on an entity (category) in the sidebar, which automatically associates the entities. For me this would allow me to rapidly categorize tasks by dragging them to the sidebar. Wunderlist does an amazing job of this (it’s one of their best features)

Thank you!

2 Likes

Following up on this – for task management being able to associate tasks with a category needs to be something you can do quickly. If it’s slow, it breaks down and stops getting done, and you end up with a mess.

Is there a faster method I perhaps haven’t spotted to do this? I’ve tried a table view, but selecting a related entity is slow. You can’t copy and paste a relation from one row to another, which would make it faster.

Hmm, in fact you can copy and paste a relation, here is it:

1 Like

That’s so strange, I’ve been trying this for months… Ah, I see what the problem is: When you click into a cell that’s a relation, that automatically opens the selector dropdown. While that dropdown is open, if you click cmd + c the contents of the cell is not copied, so when you try to paste it into another one, it is not pasted.

I’m not sure why in your example image when you click into a relation cell it doesn’t automatically open the dropdown – is that a custom setting or something?

As long as I’m navigating around with the arrow keys, or click into a cell and then hit esc, copy and paste work just fine. But unless the behavior of being unable to copy a cel while clicked into it is an intentional choice, I’d consider it a bug. It kept me from realizing copy and paste worked for quite a while.

Oh and I’m using Firefox on a Mac, in case this isn’t an issue on other OS/Browsers