[CLOSED] How to close out of "open as view"?

This is so interesting. Can you clarify why you don’t want it in full view? To me the pop-up is mainly useful because it maintains the visual context of the page behind, but functionally it’s not especially better. And, as you pointed out, the back button goes to the correct place in any case. So… what is the value of the pop-up version?

Thinking about it myself, I can see that switching from “search brings up full view” to “search brings up pop-up” could integrated it with the nice (and underappreciated IMO) entity navigation features in the pop-up view (which, hmm, are lacking from full view). So that’s a small advantage. But other than that I’m not clear on what specific benefit you gain from the popup view.

That said, it might be interesting to have more explicit control over how entities open. E.g. using Alt-Click (or Alt-Enter) in Ctrl-K view could bring up Full View immediately, rather than having to maximize as an additional step. And this could go along with changing the default to use popup view, which might be a more consistent approach anyway since many views otherwise already open entities in popup.

1 Like

Hey thanks for another thoughtful post and really hoping I can get an answer on this as it’s a real detriment to my daily flow in Fibery.

Most typically I’ll be working on an Entity in Pop-Up or Sidebar view, and then from there hit “ctrl” + “k” to move elsewhere. As I mentioned, I can’t find things easily in the left menu so “ctrl” + “k” is my goto to navigate. After I pull up that search dialog and choose an entity, when I’m done I have the instinct to “close it out” frequently, so I’ll reach for the “x” in the right corner only to see it’s not there. Closing a task or entity is a basic part of any flow of any Task/Project management app I’ve used, and when you get this “Open as View,” the only way to get rid of it is to go through a laborious process of finding another entity out of the left menu, since searching again will only bring up yet another full page.

And yes, I get a lot from the PopUp and Sidebar because you can see what’s “under” them, in particular the Sidebar. I have noticed that you can get a few “layers” of entities if you continue to open ones, but I haven’t actually figured out this logic, either.

Thanks again!

1 Like

So, while I don’t entirely “get” this issue being a significant one for you, I understand that it is. If I read you correctly, it sounds like an option to “always open as pop-up” might solve the problem then? Either that and/or a particular hotkey to open as pop-up (as I mentioned e.g. Ctrl-Click or something). Would that address your need here?

Hey, yes, if out of the Search Dialog the default was one of the two “controllable” views of either Pop-Up or Sidebar view, it would be much easier for us to navigate around.

I know this is like going back to the very beginning of this, but this point here:

…it does strike me as almost some sort of bug or unintended behavior. The only explanations in the course of this thread are to use the back button to get where you were before. That doesn’t seem to me like a good UX intended experience when changing views.

I’m not sure @Jean is still around, but he seemed to think this was an annoyance as well, if I read this right:

Thanks again!

From what the Fibery team have said before, they view Back button as a standard and critical part of navigation in Fibery. I personally do too, and in many other apps. To the point where I find the poor handling of it in Notion to be quite an annoyance. However it’s true that not every mouse has a “back” button, and not every user knows about touchpad back gestures. So there is something to be said for making these things a bit clearer and more consistent.

I would say really that regardless of whether it is confusing or a navigation challenge to go between pop-up and full-view, it is arguably an inconsistency or seemingly arbitrary choice, which perhaps should be harmonized/clarified. That said I don’t think the full view should have an “x” because it’s not “over” anything, theoretically. If they are to provide any control for it I think there should always be a way to go from full view to pop-up view. If there was no contents “behind” that should now be shown, displaying a white page is fine. Hey, maybe someone is testing the pop-up view to see how something looks in it while they edit, or whatever. The point is it should be consistent, you shouldn’t be able to go to full view without a button to also get you back to pop-up…

1 Like

Yes, as always well-said. To be 100% clear, I would simply like to be able to get out of that view without having to click around in the left menu until I can get a non “Open as View” card showing up. The option to reduce down to “Pop Up” would be great, no “x” needed really, and this would be solved for me and my team.

1 Like