Cards disappearing when activating rows by assignee

I have spend some time but I’m unable to figure out what is happening. I have a simple kanban board with columns by workflow status. I want to add rows by assignee but when I do it the cards with assignee disappear.

to add more context it’s a board replicated in “every team” of a somart folder.

Original board: https://i.imgur.com/Xw2C4Vx.png

Result with filter: https://i.imgur.com/f25prli.png

The problem isn’t consistent, in another board when I see the cards of one of the user but not the ones from another user.

P.D: Using image links because new users can’t add media nor use more than two links.

And another issue with smart folders. In lists and grids view when you have an hierarchy you only see the cards that follow exactly the hierarcy, orphanated cards doesnt’ appear.

In lists or grids not belonging to a smart folder you can see “orpahanated” items.

Have you checked the filter settings?
My guess is that Assignees are being context filtered because the view is within a Teams smart folder.

Yes, no filters applied and the assignees are part of the team.

Click on Assignees on the left hand side and check if there is a context filter

You were right, thanks a lot @Chr1sG !

I don’t remember doing that filter but anyway that is working now.

You didn’t. Context filters are automatically applied by default for views in smart folders (and for relation views for that matter).

Do you have any idea with the second problem related to Lists or grids in smart folders? I already checked for any filter.

Maybe I should open a new thread.

Sorry for not addressing that.
I don’t know if I get the problem.
Are you saing that you want to see the ‘orphan’ option everywhere, or that you don’t want to see ot anywhere?

I want to see the orphans, if the team has an “Epic” not related to an “Initiative” I want to see it in the list like in a regular folder.

I can’t actually tell what your databases are from the images you showed, so I don’t know where Epic and Initiative are in the hierarchy.
But anyway, for your smart folder list, you seem to have 4 levels. If you wanted ‘orphans’ to show up, does that mean all entities of the second level type that are not yet linked to a first level type should show up (in every list view in that smart folder)?
And should all entities of the third level type that are not yet linked to a second level type (or which are linked to a second level which is not linked to a first) should show up?
And should all entities of the fourth level type that are not yet linked to a third level type (or which are linked to…or which are linked to …) should show up?

If so, it seems like a lot of entities might be showing up in a lot of different lists!

FWIW we have plans to modify how context filters work, so it may be possible that the filter options become more flexible in the future,
i.e.
"show entities that

• are linked to the parent context OR
  • are not linked to a parent"

I would like to see everything like in a list that doesn’t belong to a smart folder.
To add more context, I have 3 levels in the hirerarchy:

• Initiatives
  • Epics
  • Stories

And then Bugs than can have relations with any of the previous

Same database outside a smartfolder (you can see all the orphan items)

Inside a smartfolder you can’t see the orphans (no filters of any type, I even deactivated the context filter):

What’s the underlying reason why you want to see orphans in a smartfolder context view?
Is it because you want to be able to assign the orphans to the correct parent?
If so, why not use the normal list view (outside smart folder) for this purpose?

We develop videogames, in the smart folder we want to have the work for each team (Tech Art, 3D, coding, etcetera). For us Initiatives are big features of the game that usually involve all the teams.

In a list I want to see all the work of a team. Most of the work will follow the hierarchy but some of the work is not related to an initiative, for example maybe backend needs to migrate from DynamoDB to MongoDB and it’s not related to any Initiative of the project.

In your example, is ‘migrate from DynamoDB to MongoDB’ related to the Backend team (but not via an initiative)?
So you want to show work which is related to a Team via the Initiatives it’s working on, as well as ones that are linked directly to a Team.
Do these orphan items only get linked to one Team or many?

Could you just create placeholder ‘Initiatives’ (one for each Team) like ‘Backend work’ etc and link the work to these.

Exactly, I want to see all the work of a team in a list with their hierarchy.

• Some stories will belong to an epic that belongs to an initiative
  • Some stories will belong to an epic that doesn’t belong to an initiative
  • Some stores won’t have any relation.

Although not usual we can have more than one more team involved in an epic for example so to many. The workaround would do the same than the “No initiative”, it would work but I’m afraid people will forget to link tasks to a fake initiative.

At the end of the day what I want is what you are doing outside of a smart folder that I think is the more intuitive behaviour.

I understand. Unfortunately, we might upset more people if we showed ‘orphan’ items in smart folders.
“Why am I seeing things that aren’t related in any way?”

I will keep my fingers crossed that our work on context filters might help with a solution.

I understand, although it’s strange for me that the behaviour is not consistent between the two use cases (smart vs regular folders).

Thanks a lot for your help.

1 Like