After a short private beta with a bunch of brave and helpful customers, we are ready to open entity permissions to a public beta. This is just the first release of many, so don’t get your expectations too high just yet .
In addition to sharing entire Spaces, you are now able to share individual Entities with people who lack any Space access. Moreover, there is an option to extend access down the hierarchy: for example, to share a Project with all its Tasks or a Feature with all its Stories and Bugs:
So far you can only share with existing workspace users (not Groups or external folks), so we expect to cover internal use cases first. A couple of examples:
- HR & People Ops: share one-on-one meetings and performance reviews by providing each user extended access to their Employee.
- Per Project/Product access: instead of creating a Space per Project with duplicate DBs, share individual Projects/Products instead.
- Freelancers and contractors: share individual Tasks with regular collaborators who are not part of your team.
We have also seen a few digital agencies inviting clients into their workspace. It’s a prime example of entity permissions — but bare in mind that we don’t currently limit access to users, so clients will be able to know about each other.
Please don’t hesitate to use entity permissions on production data: it’s been well-tested and survived the private beta.
There are a few known issues we expect to improve till a proper release:
- Search: a person is not able to find an Entity even if they have entity-only access to it.
- History: what someone can see is sometimes inconsistent with entity permissions if they’ve changed.
- Minor UI glitches here and there.
Also, we have put some limitations in place to make the infrastructure is robust enough:
- 1,000 shares per workspace
- 25 relations per DB for extending access
If you experience any issues outside of these, please let us know.
While in beta, all the new functionality is available for everyone, regardless of the pricing plan.
As we figure things out, some functionality (notably, extending access) most likely will become exclusive to the Pro plan. If you are on a Standard plan, don’t worry: we won’t revoke existing access, you just won’t be able to extend access for more Entities and users.
Based on the private beta and our research, here’s our menu for the next few months:
- Custom access templates: specify what to extend access to and how many levels deep
- Tweak the left menu to work for people without Space access
- Share Entities with Groups
- Share Entities with external people who aren’t supposed to be Fibery users
- Share Documents
Also, there are a few things that call for Database access:
- Configure access to Users
- Automatically provide access to assignees and other linked Users
- Allow Creators and not just Admins to create automations and receive notifications about broken things
We will gradually create community topics for each of these Features/Problems and prioritize them based on your feedback and usage. So far please post your use cases and anything that prevents you from getting the full value out of entity permissions here or in the main community topic.
- Open an entity in the panel upon row focus, if the panel is already open
When you open an entity in the Grid View, you can simply click on another row to jump to another entity. Keyboard navigation also works, allowing you to quickly explore entity details.
- Hide Database icon when only a single DB is visualized on a Grid
- Performance improvements, Grid View rendering is much faster now
- Expand the pinned column border to the whole column
- Increase header contrast
- When you try to create a new item and you hit TAB, the item is not created but the name is cleared
Now Fibery AI Assistant and User Guide chatbot output results progressively, so you wait less and see what is going on faster.
- You can restore pretty much anything you’ve deleted without having to ask an Admin.
- Activity Log (ex-Audit Log), Trash, and Hidden Spaces are now at the bottom of the left menu.
- The errors that appear when rich text is offline or broken are now written for all kinds of humans, not just developers.
- Threads became simple comments in converted entity
- Settings should not be displayed in the left menu for Public spaces. Use defaults there
- Entity link copied from search results has an incorrect name in it (elastic-highlight-results…)
- Unexpected pop-up position on adding new fields for the case when OE has no right column
- Formula pop-up should not be displayed over left menu
- Error on opening recently created in Relation list entity
- The position of ‘Add field’ pop-up should be adjusted
- Broken layout in Timeline-> Add new date field
- Bad ‘add field’ pop-ups height in related collections list and embed views
- Unexpected place for appearing pop-up when user edits relation on OE