New pricing starting Jan 2021

:santa: New year — new pricing plans:

• Personal
    Free.
  • Startup
    Free for 12 months if annual revenue < Fibery’s.
  • Team
    $100 for 5 users, then $10 for each extra user.
  • Company
    $500 for 25 users, then $10 for each.

Here’s the reasoning behind the change: https://blog.fibery.io/pricing-2021.

We promise to keep the old plans until at least January 2023 for the current paying customers.

Your questions and angry comments are welcome below (:

3 Likes

Glad to see it! Definitely worth it.

As always, I appreciate the transparency! Personally for my small company’s needs the new pricing will be quite a bit more than we currently pay or have budgeted for such tools, and that’s a problem. We have 3 team members, only 1 of which (me) is really that active. $100/mo is a huge jump over $21/mo. At that price we may well be forced to switch, much as I would hate to. Of course we have 2 years to figure it out. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I think my biggest issue with the pricing is the enforced minimum of 5 users. Even at $20-25/user, being able to pay for the actual number of users we have, instead of 5, would save us a decent amount vs. the enforced 5 user min at $100/mo.

Frankly, if the definition of “personal” is just a single user, then for my purposes I’d be willing to let go of all users but myself and put up with a little more “gatekeeping” clunkiness as the only one able to enter data, rather than pay for $100/mo. But it’s for a business so I assume that wouldn’t qualify for “personal”.

I’d also note that some of how you describe the pricing decision seems rather “aspirational” (wishful thinking) and IMHO NOT very realistic, e.g.:

By imposing no feature restrictions and no user segregation, we challenge everyone to become a power user and to get $25 of value for $10

In my experience that is not often how people work. We might hope people can be more self-empowered, etc. but in reality most of the time there ends up to be separation between “implementers” and “users” in some way. My understanding is many Notion team users have just 1 or 2 people who are the main “implementors”, for example, and in fact it makes some more sense to do it this way in many respects because it helps to ensure more consistency, avoid accidental changes, etc.

I certainly see the logic in how you’ve priced things, but it actually seems much more complicated than how you have presented it (in my view) because Fibery is such a flexible tool that can be used for so many purposes. For some of what Fibery can do (e.g. the product teams example given in the blog post), the pricing should seem reasonable, at least as compared to some tools in that niche (ignoring that many such teams on the smaller side actually use cheaper or not purpose-built tools). But there are lots of other tools, like Notion, Airtable, etc. that Fibery can replace, where the new pricing model seems much less good in comparison. Notion as one example has seen massive adoption in part because of low pricing and the fact it can be adapted to many purposes. There is validity in the “revenue through massive scale” option, though of course it increases potential support costs, so I realize it is not as simple as pricing low to drive sales either.

Anyway, in general I hope most for Fibery’s success. I hope as well that I can continue using it in the future, but if I have to let it go, then so be it. If nothing else it will have helped me build a data model that I can hopefully adapt to other systems like Notion or Anytype…

Edit: Also I should say, none of the above is a comment on whether Fibery is “worth it” in some objective sense. I think the work the team has done is outstanding, and Fibery is one of my very favorite tools. I espouse its benefits to other people often. But the pricing must be considered in comparison to the markets that Fibery exists in, and that’s where I don’t always see it being a favorable look.

3 Likes

Quoting from the fibery blog post in August:

"We also discussed new pricing for this niche and came up with something like this:

Upcoming Fibery pricing

NOTE: All current customers will not be affected at all, they may continue to use Fibery with current pricing plans forever."

Now:

“We promise to keep the old plans until at least January 2023 for the current paying customers.”

:frowning:

3 Likes

@Chr1sG @Oshyan We’ll handle that. We don’t want to earn more money, but just simplify things. We’ll figure something out via a discount or old pricing continuation. No worries about 2 years for our old customers.

3 Likes

Fundamentally, there are many things here:

1. Fibery should work as a replacement of 3-7 tools, and in this case the pricing looks fair.
  2. With this release Fibery competes with tools like Aha, Productboard, Productplan, Roadmunk and Dovetail. Their pricing is $60-$120/user/m, $100-200/user/m, $40-100/user/m, $50-130/user/m, $20-60/user/m
  3. Pricing is always hard. We’ll see how it goes :slight_smile:
1 Like

Pricing seem fine for companies that greatly benefit from the immense flexibility of the tool and the time data linking saves, like in our company (because time is money!). Fibery didn’t replace the cost of any tools for us though, only added. We used Microsoft’s tools previously, and while we moved over to Fibery, we still need and use Microsoft’s tool for a lot of other things.

Pricing doesn’t seem to be favourable however to small teams that aren’t already making a profit, e.g. open source projects, newly started in-development services that are not yet making any money (and are unlikely to do so within the next few months).

This is, of course, in my own opinion.

Fibery is free for startups for 1 year. So we hope to handle this case as well.

I haven’t worked in startups, but I have worked with some collaborative projects that does not belong to anything officially registered nor for-profit. Would these would likely end up sticking to existing tools, even if they are not nearly as powerful? Will they know what they are missing out?

What will the requirements be for the startups, as in, what is required to prove? For instance their annual revenue < Fibery’s.

Also, there’s another competitor I have seen through one of the aforementioned projects that I haven’t seen mentioned or compared to called Linear that is geared towards development.

At the end of the day, we will at least keep using Fibery.

Thank you, I appreciate the reassurance. Pricing is indeed hard!

I agree with this and also share your concerns @Oshyan! I in fact am concerned about adoption away from tools like Coda, Notion, or Airtable where I think Fibery could win big converts due to what it can do that those tools cannot. None of them are that restrictive on a team of 3 - 4 with pricing. I noticed a post on Reddit that seemed to already think the old pricing was too much:

The post is here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/clickup/comments/jdze1t/clickup_vs_notion/

I would also like to respond re: @mdubakov comment:

I have thought from when I first started using Fibery that it could mean you could avoid those tools once the Intercom integration came, which we now have. And, with some continued development, Fibery gets you the ability to work exclusively in Fibery. All of those tools have to integrate with Asana, Jira, etc because they are siloed out of basic work management, a big flaw. However, the nocode tools can do what those tools can, and I think these tools will not be able to maintain their often over-ambitious pricing (Aha! in particular) when teams can use Notion when its API comes out to handle that need. As well as Fibery, Coda, etc.

I have to also agree with @Haslien that it has been a road of deep faith for my team to try to replace any tool with Fibery, so I’m surprised to see this pricing so early, while Fibery continues to not have features that I think the mass market is going to demand. The most use of Fibery so far in my team is tracking our assets, documenting our software, and extensive use of highlights to track decisions and cross-references. Sounds like what you are seeing as a benefit when you say:

I’d be very curious to see the list of the 3-7 types of tools that Fibery is replacing, as I’m still not actually sure because with the limitations, there are some it just can’t replace yet I think. Here’s my best guess:

• Issue Tracker - Jira, Clubhouse, Linear (I know it, very nice new tool)
  • Wiki - Confluence, etc.
  • Product Development - Aha, etc.
  • Task/Project Mgmt: Wrike, Todoist, Trello, ClickUp, Asana - all of those tools more or less cover the need, but in different ways
  • CRM

I’m not sure of additional. I would love to use it to replace:

• Chat/communication - Slack/Teams etc.

And I think it can do that if commenting and notifications get some additional features, nothing too over the top.

Not sure of a 7th!

I do hope the pricing doesn’t scare off potential users, as I feel like we really need some people, like the user I quoted, who would come to Fibery instead of the mass-use tools like ClickUp. Because Fibery can actually do what ClickUp does much better, too!

2 Likes

This is very importasnt step , thiod need to be extended to the hugev enginerring It students teacher students , espoeciial focus on remote online open aapp too such as taskade integrsated task management , made for taining for competoition of all statup for globall competitions ,The free accounts templete code is made to fibery , this more idea exchange , other good app integration well done by this young talented small biz with no code . All the error to the competetive berrer verified by tthe these masive startup of the young non IT code limited good app , can help easily fibery market migration android , this can help exponencials after corono0 virusv too

This zero pricing for young startups and your note about rejection of .99s gives me hope for the world. Thank you.

2 Likes

The new pricing plans are totally coherent with Fibery’s strategy towards a rather large market niche. Nonetheless, it’s impossible to please every possible kind of need and some are going to be let aside.
I my self may represent a category of individual users who were limited by the 500 entities limitation and now are free to fly [SOLO] with the new free personal no limit plan. Would make me think to try once more to switch from Notion (unlimited entities + two way relations) and Coda (better formula approach ever invented + automations).
On the other hand, the new pricing long delays the horizon where I see myself being financially able to bring up a team to use it (and try it) with me, especially taken in consideration that where I live $100 = half of a minimum wage/month. The main downside here for me in Fibery’s plan is that Coda’s team plan allows you to have unlimited entities and unlimited collaborators (not makers) for a tenth of Fibery’s plan.
Trying it solo and bringing up the team as you take vantage from Fibery’s power is the magic. The 1 million dollar question is how long would it take for a solo user paying $0 to find out Fibery’s power, then convince (or even find viable) his small business (number of users) to pay 100 or his whole company (number of users) to pay 500.
I’m writing resting assured that Fibery’s team will take into consideration every single opinion from its users, even if the final decision doesn’t make sense specifically to me.
Fibery’s team, you are doing a great job!

3 Likes

This super sucks.

I need to collaborate with one other user (my business partner), in my business. We aren’t a tech startup, we will only need 2 accounts for the foreseable future.

I will be paying $50 per month ($90 after we convert to USD) per user with these new plans. We will be the highest paying users that you will ever have (should we sign up), even though we are just a small business. So many tech companies price this way and we simply can’t afford to pay for seats we dont use. It feels like we are getting locked out of the internet.

Can you please, please, please change your plan from…
minimum of 5 users = $100, then $10 per user therafter
to
1 - 5 users = $20 dollars per user, then $10 per user thereafter.

It won’t impact your bottom line much, but it will make a huge difference to the little guys stuck in limbo under 5 users.

4 Likes

Exactly this. I like the $20/user/mo under 5 idea well enough, too.

2 Likes

This is a good idea.

1 Like

What are you converting to/from? I hope you’re not saying that your forex fees are hurting you, since there’s loads of options out there for multi-currency business accounts.

We run a two-person agency and have been using Trello + Confluence combo for quite a while. This costs us around $250 a year.

We’ve been testing Fibery and love the speed, the UI, the look… everything. The real motivation for us was that we would love to get our wiki/documentation integrated into the same tool as our Kanban boards/tasks. And Fibery does this for us. However, being a small two-person team, we are always trying to keep our expenses to a minimum. The old pricing $7/month per user annually was great for us. However, as you can imagine the new pricing isn’t. I understand the difficulties of pricing something for everyone.

But how confident are you on being able to grandfather pricing as you mentioned? You said don’t worry about the two years? But I’m just a little concerned if we move right now and upgrade, then in two years we’ll end up having to move again due to price.

Will existing users be able to keep same pricing or something close? Thanks!

2 Likes

Thanks, very cool that existing customers can keep the same deal!

Paying more is not possible for me now, being a startup (starting Januari 1st). I wish to collaborate with partners using Fibery and I also have some free-time projects (for fun and for charity) where I feel that Fibery would be awesome!

I believe in always paying well, even though I can’t do it money-wise, but I am offering my enthusiasm, loyalty, good jokes if I have some, a constant stream of ideas (I have chronic brainstorm syndrome - symptoms are especially severe under the shower) and you are welcome to go wadlopen (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mudflat_hiking), I am training to be a guide (guiding people across the sea like Moses, literally) if you ever want to visit the North of the Netherlands.

Ps anyone fellow Fiberian reading this is welcome to take up on this offer! :wink:

Hope that your new pricing will work well, and that new people keep coming. Will recommend Fibery to lots of people. Having a free tier does help for that I think, with some ability to collaborate. I think Notion made a smart decision here, or so it seems, although that depends on how much the free services costs and how many people are willing to go premium.

1 Like