New Beta CSV Import does not allow me to choose the "Name" field

The automatic assignment of the “Name” field is perplexing:

Also - the importer will often:

• assign “Single Select” or “Multi Select” to ordinary text fields
  • assign “Text” for Date/Time fields
  • assign “Text” for Numeric fields
  • assign “Multi Select” when a “Single Select” would be more appropriate

Note that in the case of the “Last Enriched Time” field, there was no data in that field, which explains why it was assigned as Text. But it would be helpful if the importer would look for words like “time” and “date” in the field title when guessing the field’s type.

2 Likes

I had a similar strange experience today.
I have a contact database. The properties First Name and Last name are text fields. The Name property is a formula.
The 2.0 importer forced the name column from the csv to import to the Name field. I couldn’t change it.
All records imported with a blank Name field.

1 Like

So none of the other text fields supported the option to choose as name in the drop down?

I looked into this today. The other text fields support my ability to import them as a name.
However, in my case, I shouldn’t have to import a name field since my name field is computed.

AFAIK the CSV import does not allow you to import if there is no Name field specified.
If you’re importing to an existing db, a workaround would be to temporarily disable the name formula, perform the import, and then re-establish the name formula.